GUN Got a question for people who carry daily..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by onedownfiveup, Feb 3, 2008.

1. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

Do you carry because you are in areas where you'll actually have to use it?

Do you carry because if you need it, it's there?

Do you carry because you can, but there really isn't any reason other than that unless there was a situation that was way out of the ordinary?

2. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. #2

3. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

Is there honestly really an area where you can say that you won't ever need it? Shit happens everywhere.

4. Option #2.

Even in an area where I'm not very concerned about crime (like at my parents' cabin) there is a danger from animals. I think there's always at least one reason to be armed. It just gives you more options.

5. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

I don't carry yet as I'm still waiting to be approved by the state, but I will be carrying because you never know when you might need it. Bad things usually happen when you least expect it...

6. johnson

johnson New Member

There was another mall shooting yesterday in Chicago.

7. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

I carry daily b/c I don't know if i'll have to use it or not. things happen everywhere nowadays and there's no way to be sure ur in a safe area.

I figure you might as well have it. better to have it if u need it than not. if i don't need it then there's no harm done, just a bit more weight on my belt but if i do need it then my life could be potentially saved by it.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think most of us would just not go somewhere if we knew we were going to need a gun there. :)

9. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

You at least keep it in your vehicle though, right? Since the state already approves of you doing so;)

10. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Most people who carry do their absolute best to avoid ever getting into these situations or locations where there is a large chance that they will have to use a firearm. That's just common sense. I do know people who carry only at certain times, usually when work sends them to less desirable areas of town.

Its a common saying, "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it." Its the same concept of why do you take your wallet when someone else is driving. Its a valid reason to be prepared.

There are those people who carry because they believe that it is in fact a right. They believe that rights should be exercised or we risk losing them.

What do you mean by a situation way out of the ordinary? Something along the lines of you are walking to your car parked off to the side of a movie theater and someone tries to rob you at knife point unusual or is it more like the LA race riots, threats made against your life or N.O. after a hurricane? Any situation where you need a firearm is an unusual situation, but there are very few places and times where you can say that they will never happen.

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

It's like asking, do you expect to get into an accident every time you put your safety belts on?

12. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

Actually I don't, and that's mainly just because I don't know how many cops actually know the law, and I'm so close to getting my CHL that I figure I'll just wait so there won't be any questions about it on the off chance I get pulled over. Probably not the best way to look at it, but :dunno:

13. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

Only reason why I ask is because in my 25 years of life I have not even come to close to a situation where I would have needed it. Not saying I would never need it, but like you all said when you don't have it and something does happen when you need it you don't have it.

14. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I never got into a car accident until I was 22 either. That doesn't mean it was stupid or pointless to wear my seat belt the previous 21 years.

I carry because if something happened where I could have made a difference being armed, and I survived, I don't think I would be proud of myself being one of those "there was nothing I could do" people.

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

You probably never will. Your house will probably never burn to the ground either and you'll likely have a home insurance policy out on it anyway. Sometimes we do things based on whats at stake more than what the odds are.

16. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Was this off the cuff or did you hear it somewhere? That's probably the most well-articulated and un-arguable answer I've ever heard.

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I wish I could take credit but I'm just butchering someone else's thoughts. Since you asked though I poked around a bit and I believe original credit, at least for where I heard it, goes to Lee Lapin on the high road.

"Odds are you won't ever need to use a firearm in self defense. But it isn't the odds that matter- it's the stakes. What's at stake are your life and health and that of your loved ones."

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=208629

18. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

thats a good quote there.

19. ReefBlue

ReefBlue New Member

I wear a seatbelt, yet I don't expect to get into a traffic accident . . .

20. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

If i could figure out when I needed it, i could predict the future and i would be insanely rich due to that fact.

since i can't, i carry everywhere possible.

21. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Z, all of the above.

22. kruucks

kruucks oh herro

:bowdown:

/thread

23. controvert

controvert OT Supporter

I carry daily because I have a permit to do so and I commute through a shitty area coming home from work.

24. shagwag3n

shagwag3n New Member

and u ethug so much on IA that u never know when a hater will pop up on u in real life :rofl: