Got a new iPod... have questions.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tripod, Mar 31, 2008.

1. tripod

tripod New Member

New 160 GB iPod Classic.

First, is there any way to make the display always show what's playing, instead of going to the black screen with the clock? It's a real pain in the ass when I have it on shuffle and I have to use the clickwheel just to see what's playing.

Also, I noticed that certain artists don't show up in the list, and finally figured out that anything that comes off of a compilation album doesn't get listed by artist. Is there any way to fix this?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the "artist" field is driven by the id3 tag. If you obtain an album with the name of a compilation in the "artist" field, then it will be under that... plain and simple. There is a "compilations" setting you can turn on that will add a shortcut to the menu.

there is also a backlight setting that you can change to "Always On" so that you can ruin your battery life.

do you not even try to figure this shit out? That's pretty sad that you can't figure out an ipod.

3. tripod

tripod New Member

I know the backlight setting, I already changed it from the default 10 seconds to 5 seconds to prolong battery life. Backlighting has nothing to do with what I was asking. I could give a fuck if the backlight is on, obviously, during the daytime, you can see the display anyway. My issue is, instead of the album/song info staying on the screen while music is playing (as it did on older ipods, even after the backlight went off), after about a minute of the pod playing with no clickwheel input, the artist/album/song info disappears and a giant digital display of the time comes up instead. I've only played with one other sixth gen ipod, and it was the same way. I'd rather that it continue to display the "now playing" info, than to waste the whole screen to show me the time, especially since I already set it up to display the time at the top of the screen all the time.

As for the "artist" field and the ID3 tag, I'll admit that I don't know everything about ID3 tags, but if I look at the properties of the file in windows explorer, isn't everything under the "details" tab derived from the ID3 tag? If the "artist" field under the "details" tab is correct, and it lists itself correctly in iTunes, why shouldn't that carry over to the iPod? As nearly as I can ascertain, the only thing that differentiates these files from any others are the fact that they're listed in the "compilations" subdirectory of the itunes music folder on my computer. I don't remember my old pod having any trouble figuring out the artists when the info was correct in the file properties...

Thanks for the help. Nice attitude.

4. tripod

tripod New Member

Okay, the compilation issue was straightforward after all - it was a simple matter of unchecking "compilations" under the setup for the music menu. Don't know how I overlooked it earlier. Then it listed all the artists, like I wanted. I'm nearly certain I didn't have to do that on my old ipod, but it was a lot older... 4th gen black & white screen, so a lot of stuff is different.