GUN Got a new gun but it only holds 8 rounds and I want more for daily cc

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thomor25, Apr 17, 2007.

1. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

Here it is, it currently has a kimber kimpro 8 rnd mag in it. Is there any higher cap mags on the market? Going from an xd9 with 16rnd mags to an 8rnd mag I'd like to hold a little more.

went to the sherrifs office for my cc app today and it just feels weird going from a 16rnd mag to a 9rnd mag. I know its a 45 but todays vt shooting proves you can never be too prepared.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. thomor25

also is there anythign else you suggest I get for it and I'd also appreciate a link or instructions to strip this thing cause all I got was the gun, no manual or case or anything.

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

1) Only one gunman. You don't need 33 shots. I would've been happy to have my 7+1 and a spare mag. :sad2: I think you can get 10-round mags but they look silly sticking out the bottom of the grip.

2) Do you know how to field strip it? That's pretty straightforward. Detail stripping is more complicated.

4. RRTX

RRTX New Member

I wouldn't trust more than 8 round mags for carry in a 1911, besides anything over that sticks out quite a bit from the magwell.

5. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Detail stripping a 1911 is cake.

To answer your question regarding 1911 mags. The 1911 is what it is. You first concern is to make sure it runs 100%. When you get into 10rd 1911 mags they cut coils on the springs and you will run into feed issues. If you want a higher cap gun there are plenty of choices. Stick to 7 or 8 rd Wilson, Tripp, Chip McCormick.etc. If you MUST get a 10 rounder, CMCs are the best out there right now.

6. Platinum_Thunder

http://www.coolgunsite.com/disassembly/disassembly.htm

7. thomor25

well I'm basing this on going from my 9mm to 45mm. I'm in a 4 in group at 7yards with the 45 anything past that I start to scatter(guess I'm still getting sued to this gun). With my xd9 I was in a 4in group at 15 yards so thats why I was asking

yeah strip it. On my xd I just pull the slide back and flip up the lever and let the slide go forward and it comes off and the barrell and spring comes out. With this colt I don't know how to cause I never owned one before.

8. Platinum_Thunder

9. Platinum_Thunder

It ain't the gun, dude.

10. thomor25

yeah figured it wasn't the gun, I've onyl had 150 rnds through it so far so I'm still getting used to it.

11. JaimeZX

My unskilled hands will shoot a 3" group or so at about 20 yards. Using a sandbag. More realistic 10-15 yard shooting will give me 4-6" groups; I know I can do better with practice (always need more practice!) but at the same time... in real life that's PLENTY.

PT's link will show you the way. :bigthumb:

12. Platinum_Thunder

Don't feel bad. I have a tough time going from my glock to an XD :mamoru:

13. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ditch the 1911 for carry and keep it for the range, get yourself a G20/21/29/30 for CC

14. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

While more rounds are always better, how many do you really see yourself needing in any encounter you might have? I mean in a situation were you honestly need more than 8 rounds on the street, you probably should be retreating.

15. JaimeZX

Exactly. I can totally see getting a Glock 21 for when I'm retired on my boat and *can't* retreat; but if I need more ammo than a 1911 w/ spare mag can handle, my ass should be either running away or scrounging weapons from the several dead guys I've taken down.

16. Platinum_Thunder

GTFO

17. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I like to avoid that kind of reasoining whenever possible. It's the same logic that gun grabbers use to try to ban "high capacity" magazines. If it's some coked up meth addict, you don't know if it's the 9th round that'll finally stop him from coming at you. Not saying that carrying a 1911 is a bad thing.

Suffice it to say that you should carry however many rounds your gun will allow.

18. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I have all kinds of carry guns, 6+1 to 15+1. I feel equally safe with any of them. It's a personal decision. I like my 1911 because how easy it is to shoot great and it carries good for a fullsize gun. Although more often I either have a PM9 (6+1) or a P32 in the pocket (7+1)

19. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

30= 10+1 or 9+1.

20. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

some of us (me) dont like the way the glocks fit our hands.

1911 on the other hand :buttsex:

21. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

Practice with it, you'll get better. Carry a spare mag if you feel the need. I carry two spares. Not because I think I'll ever need that many rounds, but for the same reason I carry in the first place. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

22. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

they make hicap 1911's that take double stack mags, but even then they only hold 13 rounds of .45 in the 'hicap' mags.

if you want that much ammo in a gun, get a compact glock and a 33rd mag or 17rd mag.

23. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

I don't feel undergunned with a 1911, that's for goddamn sure.

24. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

fuck no. excellent gun.

25. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I understand the reasoning that you should carry as much as you can and as much as you are comfortable with. I do not believe that we should limit the size of a magazine and that it is a personal choice as to what you carry as ultimately you will be the one that has to deal with it every time you wear it. If I carried a semi-auto pistol I would probably throw a spare mag in my pocket with the cell phone and as soon as I see speed loaders for my revolver at a store I will probably grab em.

However I am curious as to why he wants more in the 1911, he has just stepped down from a 16 rnd 9mm to a 8 rnd 45acp. Obviously if you are considering the gun for carry the magazine size is a consideration you make before you buy a gun for carry. I'm more curious as to the fact that he just bought the gun (and I am assuming that he hasn't had much range time with it) and he already feels the gun is too low a capacity for carry. Practice and shot placement > magazine size > caliber.