Got a MacMini for work...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skoles, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I've turned into the resident "mac-man" at work it seems. We had to replace the dieing 400mhz G4 and were up in the air between the cheap Mini or a new G5 iMac. Mini won out because it seems to do just what is needed since the computer is only used for ripping jobs done on our Power Mac G5 downstairs to printable format.

We ordered the 1.25 base model and got one of the "surprise" upgraded 1.3ghz models. Loaded Adobe's CS, Quark 6 & a slew of fonts and removed all the fluff software we wouldn't touch. After all said & done it runs pretty good for it's specs. You can definetly feel the hurt of the laptop drive when booting & accessing seldom used areas of the drive. I know you can toss an exernal FW drive & boot from that, we will do that later when one is freed up. How easy is it to just copy to the FW drive & continue to boot from that?

The 400mhz G4 is now the scanner bitch computer and a backup for quarterly image files. The G5 is for Reebok & any customer supplied Mac jobs.

Overall I'm impressed with how well it works tho. I expected it to be painfully slow at a lot of things except web/word stuff.
  2. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Aug 5, 2000
    I don't have an answer to your question but that's cool that you got the surprise. If you really want to speed up that bitch up, max out the RAM.
  3. Halon X

Halon X New Member

Oct 19, 2002
    I didn't realize the 1.25's also had "surprise" upgrades, thought it was only the 1.42's :dunno:

As for cloning your internal drive to a Firewire drive, it's very easy.
    Use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper (website links below).

Once the drive is cloned, go to System Prefrences > Startup Disk and select the external drive. Once you are up and running on the external drive, you can format the internal drive and do what you like with it.

Carbon Copy Cloner

Super Duper

Booting off an external drive makes a noticable difference. Here are my Xbench scores.

1.5GHz Mini, 512MB RAM, 64MB Video
    43.91 using internal HD
    48.85 using external firewire HD

1.25Ghz Mini, 256MB RAM, 32MB Video.
    37.60 - internal HD
    41.18 - external firewire HD