Got a HDTV. This is what I have for surround

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I have a very old receiver. A Sony STRDE475.

http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/DocsConnect/docget.asp?manualid=11637&DL=',
    ( I think that link works)

The receiver came with speakers but instead of those speakers I am wondering if I can hook up my klipsch computer speakers to the receiver instead. Then vice versa use the speakers that came with the receiver on my computer via the klipsch sub.

The Receiver says output is 80watts per channel. The information on the Klipsch sound system is kinda sketchy. I couldn't find much besides that the unit puts out 400w.

Now I'm just a noob to this but wouldn't this mean the receiver puts out 400watts (5 channels [80watt per channel]+ sub)

So if it puts out the same wattage as the Klipsch sub then I'm good right? No worries about turning it up too loud and blowing the speakers.

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

You are less likely to blow speakers by overpowering than by overpowering due to clipping. The 400 watt Klipsch computer speaker system does mean that the power is split between the speakers, the sub will get more than the rest.

As far as if they can be hooked up to the receiver you need to determine the impedance of the Klipsch speakers. They probably need to be 8ohm for the receiver to be able to handle them. Also, don't Klipsch computer speakers connect using 1/8" jacks in the back of them or are they bare wire connections?

3. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Thanks for responding. I've waited days. Was about to take the question to another forum.

Yes, they are bare wire.

Now, I was actually asked this at work today and now I'm asking you or someone else. Is there any way to test to see if a speaker is 8ohm or not?

Is there a meter or maybe a voltmeter? Voltmeter's test ohms. Maybe I could use one of those. I'll research it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I should know the answer to that. A voltmeter doesn't measure ohms, just volts (if you want to be technical). A multimeter will measure ohms though. I'm not at home or I would try this, but try measuring the resistance across the speaker and if it measures close to 4 or 8 ohms then that should give you the answer.

5. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Yea, multimeter. I have one. I'll try it. Thanks.