Got a fresh install of windows w/ driver problem corrected

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Necromancer, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

What should I do to somewhat keep it running at it's prime?

I already have mozilla and trillian.

Any other suggestions?

Anything in windows I should disable or anything?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

decent AV like AVG or Anti Vir, CCleaner to help delete temp files and help with the registry.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Never use an automatic registry cleaner -- they can't possibly know how all the programs on your computer are using the entries in the registry, and it might delete something that's important. Always use the manual repair option, and only change entries that you know you don't need anymore, like for programs that you've uninstalled.

Create a 1035MB partition on your hard drive, format it in the FAT32 format, tell it to be the "Z:" drive, and tell Windows to put a 1024MB pagefile there. Never use the remaining space for anything.

Defrag once a month whether you want to or not.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Image the machine stat

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

:werd:

6. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I've seen people mention that they use an entire small drive for the page file,
    and I notice you recommend just 1035mb. Is 1035mb large enough for normal computing?
    I'm guessing that maybe a small drive is typically going to be used for a server type system?

7. 5Gen_Prelude

Smaller drives are better but they're also typically old drives. SATA>IDE and good luck finding a small SATA drive.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

A 1GB pagefile is plenty. You should avoid using virtual memory as much as possible anyway; 1GB will be a good safety buffer to keep your computer from crashing even if you're running a program with a bad memory leak, but if you need more memory than your current RAM + the 1GB pagefile then you should suck it up and buy more RAM. Even the fastest virtual memory on the fastest hard drive is several thousand times slower than real RAM.

1035MB is big enough to hold a 1024MB (1GB) pagefile, plus the required minimum amount of free space. I'm not saying you should get a second hard drive for the purpose, I'm saying you should make a second partition on your main drive and put the pagefile on it. There are two reasons why:

1. FAT32 is much faster than NTFS because it doesn't have the same data-protection measures in place, which is good for making your virtual memory fast and bad for keeping your data files safe.

2. You can only have part of your hard drive formatted with FAT32 if you make a second partition.

3. Speed bonuses aside, you should put your pagefile on a separate partition that is too small to be used for anything else, because that way there won't be any reason for Windows to chop up the pagefile into pieces (which will slow its performance dramatically) in order to stuff other small files in between those pieces.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

Can you clarify that?