Got a few sub amp, and system wiring questions.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StealthMode, Jan 26, 2005.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Thinking of selling my Rockford Punch 800a4 and getting a Phoenix Gold Octane-R 15.0:1 for my subs. It should be better than what I have already for my subs, and good enough for the 10in Brahma I am planning on getting this summer. :x:

How much do you think I can get for my Rockford 800a4? It's in good shape, but showing it's age, no manual with it though... But I have the PDF for it :hsugh:
    I can get the Phoenix Gold amp off eBay brand new for about $300ish, so depending on how much I can get for the Rockford, I might just sell or keep it..

Next question, I have Stinger Multi-Amp 4 Ga. Amplifier Wiring Kit it says it is good to 1400watts, so I am assuming it should be enough for my setup if I got the Phoenix Gold amp which would be paired up with my JBL GTO 75.4 amp (powers my mains, which I have now). What are your thoughts?
    By this summer I am thinking buying a new battery, thinkin an Optima Yellow Top possibly.

Your thoughts?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you should get an Optima Red Top if it will be your primary battery. The Yellow Top is great for deep-cycle operation, but it's not so good for starting your car and doing constant recharges and small drains.

3. StealthMode

Alright, thanks for the tip.

4. 04

04 Guest

StealthMode, why not just rewire the 800a4 so that each subwoofer is being driven by a bridged pair? IIRC you have it set up now so that both subs are running off the rear channel only? Or am I mistaken? Id imagine the 800a4 would put out at least 500w x 2 when bridged (The rockfords used to be pretty conservatively rated), which should be plenty for your current subs, as well as a Brahma.

5. StealthMode

Thought of that, but wouldn't I need to run another pair of RCA's to the front channel on the 800a? Could I use a splitter to get the signal to the front channel? :dunno:

I have the sub pre out on my HU running to the rear channel on the 800a. I was going to bridge the front channel yesterday like you said.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  6. 04

04 Guest

Yeah a splitter would work fine.

7. StealthMode

Any recomendations on a splitter, or will I be alright picking one up from radio shack?

Well I found some, they seem cheaper quality than my RCA's in my car, but I'd imagine I won't be able to hear the differnce.. I hope :x:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  8. 04

04 Guest

I don't think you'd hear a difference ;) There is the issue of noise rejection, but for such a short lenght, I dont think it would be an issue.

However, if you compete, or just want the system to look as asthetically pleasing as possible, you might want to use a little bit higher end one like this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=263-410

Looks a bit better than the generic ones, but doesnt cost too much more.

9. StealthMode

Went to Radio Shack today and picked up a couple of those, only in all black, gold plated and all. Should do the job nicely :coold: Only cost me $4 a piece too :big grin: