Got a computer that is giving blue screens occasionally.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I installed a program that does something like what vista does with it's gui ALT-TAB. Computer started bluescreening right away. Did a repair and it slowed down but didn't stop. (once a month)

Thinking about doing a repair but really don't want to. I know you guys are going to say reinstall and the drive is partitioned but I don't want too. I have a legit copy but no cd and I don't want to pay 10-20$ from ms for a 'repair' cd or whatever they send out.

I was thinking about running a repair (or an install if I can) from my mothers copy of xp. Then using the my cd key. The build # doesn't matter when you do this or what? That's my main question.

Also, about going about a repair. I've read you actually choose 'install xp' from the cd and let the OS ask you if you want to repair instead of going through a regular repair sequence. Anyone know about this and what it does differently.

It's nearly a non-issue. I'm tempted to install ubantu and start trying my hand at that. (this is my 3rd computer)

2. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

What does the BSOD say was the problem? Usually you can glean at least a little bit of helpful info from it.

3. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

It blue screens quick and reboots. It's very very quick.

4. Chris

Chris New Member

restart the computer, and as soon as the BIOS splash screen goes away press F8 like you would to get to safe mode, there will be an option to "disable automatic reboot on system failure"

Then you can read what the blue screens are saying, most likely its driver related, caused by that arrow imitation program. Have you considered uninstalling it?

5. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

Alas, I cannot search for Mycophiles' previous posts...what is this?

6. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Start->Control Panel->System->Advanced->Startup and Recovery->Settings->uncheck Automatically restart
    Click OK until you're out.
    Restart for changes to take effect

7. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Thanks. I uninstalled it immediately. I'll bump the thread when I get the next blue screen.

BTW: Install is 6 months old.