MIL got a call this am from the CO's wife....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Big Red, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Big Red

Big Red New Member

my heart was in my throat, she was basically reading off about this guy who is in a different company who got killed and two other soldiers were injured. She said that since he was in the same batallion that she had to personally call all the wives. she also said that there would be a FRG meeting in one of the chapels tonight. i think i am going to go up there and go the hell off. I mean why the hell would she call me if it doesnt directly effect me, meaning my husband was injured or killed. i mean i hate to be the insensitive bitch but i felt like that scene in the movie We Were Soldiers(I think that is the right one) , with Mel Gibson and the taxi driver was delivering the telegram to the wrong house.

Anyway, sorry for the vent and i hope what i typed makes sense.

2. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

Maybe so you can show some support for the familys of the soldiers. Not to be an ass but that is a little insensitive to be pissed about them calling up the FRG.......when another family actually lost a member.

3. Big Red

Big Red New Member

i feel bad for them and all, but if someone from the brigade is killed or injured they just send an email out, which they did, adn that was what she read to me. but for her to call me, it made me physically ill. like i said before i hate to be the insensitive bitch in the group but if it doesnt directly effect me then dont call me.

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I have two sons in Iraq. The ONLY call I want when someone has been wounded or killed is if it was one of my sons. If the FRG or Rear Det folks must call me for any other reason, the FIRST words out of their mouth need to be: "There is nothing wrong with your boys."

I would go to the FRG meeting and first say how sorry I am that one of our own was killed. But after I had said that, the next thing I would do is give them some training in how the fuck NOT to scare the shit out of a family member. :rant:

I completely understand, Big Red. :hugot:

5. Big Red

Big Red New Member

Thank you, i mean i kinda feel bad for being as mad as i am about the whole thing, but also like you said i probably wouldnt be if she made it clear from the beginning that my hubby was just fine. but she just went straight into reading the email she had received.

6. Big Red

Big Red New Member

shit she is in another state, and that makes me think she isnt that devoted to being an FRG leader, and that is the first time she has ever talked to me. And her husband has put my husband in several bad situations. He(The CO) doesnt have any consideration for my hubby's welfare.

7. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I agree with everything you said except the selfishness part. The FRG leader needs to understand that the family members will help and support each other at every opportunity - but they do NOT need to be given these false-alerts. How hard is it to just start the damn call with "this isn't about your husband".

Every father/mother/wife/husband of a soldier in Iraq/Afghanistan dreads the official casualty notification call. The FRG is aware of this. They should know better than to do something like that.