Google Spreadsheets [Screenshots]

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by electroscript, Jun 9, 2006.

1. electroscript

electroscript New Member

Hey everyone, my first post here :O.
    Anyways, just recieved my Google Spreadsheets invitation today and thought I would show you all some screenshots for people who are wondering what its really like.

The actual interface is just like any other Google Ajax project, like GMail and Google Calendar, very clean and easy to use.
    The only real downside to this, as far as i can see atm compared to Excel, is that you cannot produce graphs or use macro's. apert from this it is a very strong competiter, especially seeing it doesnt hold a price tag of around £200.

Front Page
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Very clean and easy to navigate around.

File Menu
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    In somewhat a different place to most pcomputer apps but fits in with the style. The choice of options allows you to import Excel files including CSV's, which encourages former Excel uses to use GS.

Format Menu
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    A nice feature, quickly change the format of selected cell to common formats (However, it doesnt include £'s :().

Formatted Data
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Once you press enter, it auto-formats. There is however a bug, i typed in 5.89 and gave me $6 :eek3:. Although it is still in BETA like the rest of Google though :p.

Cell Formula's
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    A spreadsheet wouldn't be a spreadsheet without cell formulas, and Google has not left them out :big grin:. You can type them in exactly like you can in Excel, you can even select the cells with your mouse you want to multiple, add, subtract, etc.. together.

Cell Formula's taken to the extreme
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    For those of you who like to go to the extreme and hope for the best, Google has added an extensive library of formulas you can add into your cell. Only the top few have been shown, theres another 50, nearing 100 or so below that.

Overall, for a free product, Google Spreadsheets is amazing. The portability and free access is what really is going for GS, without it, Google may not be able to compete with the Excel might, but i feel it wont be too long before Google Office is released and sets out to knock Microsoft off its gold mine. I also believe Google Spreadsheets will soon have a flash graph feature, they know how to do them and has been shown on Google Analytics and Google Finance, only then will it be able to truly beat Excel.

2. strubbe

strubbe New Member

:cool: Nice first post too.

3. qmudd

qmudd New Member

good post

4. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

pictures died

5. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

but seeing as the poster is still at one post and the photoes where hosted on his site this thread is probably never going to be fixed

6. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

both my dad and i got invites for it and we were messing around with the live editing feature which seemed pretty :cool:. we found a few bugs though, so its definatly still in a beta stage.

7. electroscript

electroscript New Member

Hello.
    Server was down for several hours after 12AM on Monday (12th June) for hardware upgrading. I am unsure why you experienced image problems, however I can assure you that they are 100% working now. I apolgise if you were unable to view the fantastic screenshots (lol).

As for the "one poster", try not to sterotype next time, anyway, I now have two posts now, does that mean I have the amazing ability to fix posts? Hope so.

Really? ;)

--------------------

Glad you like the info.

Lol, the live editing is amazing piece of AJAX, Google really is the king of Ajax'ing lol. Im looking forward to seeing it once Google has released a stable version.

8. Bleed

Bleed New Member

used it for a few minutes. there's still not enough features in it to make it useable. for instance, the click and drag in excel to replicate forumlas in neighbording cells is missing.

9. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

eh that still looks pretty cool. I'm sure eventually its gonna be like a free version of XL

10. Dementio

Dementio OT Supporter

the import feature still has a few bugs as it can't import a file with links it seems

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Why would you even bother with this when OpenOffice exists, is free, multi-platform, and can do macros and graphs?

12. dew

dew Banned

13. Dementio

Dementio OT Supporter

Collaboration, and the ability to use the same file from mulitple locations without haveing to worry about uploading everyt ime you make a change

14. Jaron95

Jaron95 "Gattai" dattou?!

Is this a web app, or something you run locally? :confused:

15. Dementio

Dementio OT Supporter

web app