Google Chrome

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Limp_Brisket, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

whoopty shit.

Next thing you know, the SEC will be suing them for using their natural monopoly on searching to force an artificial monopoly on browser usage. Don't have Chrome? Shit, sorry, you can't use google.com.

Isn't chrome the name of the GUI for Firefox?

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

looks like it has some cool features. i like how it claims to keep everything in the browser as to "protect"...i'm going to doubt that it will be truly secure

that snapshot thing is awesome

4. deusexaethera

I've been reading more about it, and the most interesting thing I've seen is the V8 Engine for processing JavaScript. You know how I've bitched in the past about the inherent inferiority of interpreted languages, not least because the interpreter limits the flexibility of the language? Well, V8 compiles the JavaScript code before it runs it, and it supposedly runs a lot faster than any other JVM.

I knew it! I knew I was right! Maybe JS won't suck so much now.

EDIT: I retract my earlier statement; Chrome actually looks like it's going to be a kickass product. Maybe I should go to work for Google; they sure do seem to know how to run a software project the right way.

5. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

They seem to be grabbing a lot of good ideas from Opera, though that isn't new.

I remember someone on here didn't like that the address bar and controls fell under the tabs in Opera, yet this is what's Google's gone with, and put it well for why.

It's quite funny that they've gone with Webkit too over Gecko. A bit of a slap in the face for the Firefox guys.

It all sounds extremely promising. It remains to be seen how it's going to perform and feel, and of course, what user adoption will be like. There's a lot of fanboys in the browser webspace, and a lot will feel threatened with this, while others will be happy to jump ship if Chrome is better.

The Google brand is a huge thing and we might see Chrome gain market share very steadily, then accelerate. All of the vendors should be scared, particularly Opera and IE, as Webkit and Firefox will at least be dragging on Chrome's coattails anyway if it gets eventual market dominance.

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Google isn't Microsoft, and Chrome is FOSS. Try again.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

No offense, but do you think they'd hire you? If you think they would, you should obviously try to get a job there. It would mean an enormous improvement in your quality of life and career.

8. deusexaethera

Of course they'd hire me. I'm good enough at programming to be dangerous (I can handle raw pointers without crashing the OS, for example), and I don't have to learn good design principles through trial/error or by being forced to use them by the project manager. In fact, it's been an unending source of frustration for me that my company's largest software development project is being run by a guy who got pissed off at me when I tried to implement a requirements-driven development process, and when I refused to remove the work, he deleted it himself. He didn't just ignore it and not use it. He deleted it.

Of course, months later I find out he's adopted about half of what I tried to set up because it was the only way to keep the project on track, and the other half would be helpful to improve our 70% grade from the customer, but what do I know? I'm just a newbie.

9. deusexaethera

Google doesn't have to be Microsoft to get slapped by the SEC if they try to monopolize the browser market by adapting www.google.com so it only works right in Chrome. It's no secret that millions of people use www.google.com every day to search for stuff without even giving a second thought to whether another search engine might work better, and that's what you call a natural monopoly. Making Chrome better than other browsers is great, but since they're building it for the express purpose of giving people a browser that works the way Google wants it to, so that Google can develop web apps their own way, that could easily turn into an artificial monopoly.

In fact, I have no doubt in my mind that this is the reason why Chrome is entirely open-source -- they can't get boned by the Feds if they're not trying to make any money or control any intellectual property. Which, of course, is how the system is supposed to work -- it keeps the big guy from giving Joe Idiot a choice between using their amazing product vs. not having anything that can possibly compare.

10. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

well p07r04s7t was arguing that putting the tabs below the address bar didn't follow proper OOP procedure. I think that's kind of a joke when you're talking about UI design, i don't really care either way thouhg.

however in this screenshot i think they do waste a lot of space the way they have it layed out. look at all that wasted space at the top and to the right of the tabs, that bothers me :o they should put the window control buttons on the same level as the tabs and get rid of all that extra space, IMO

[​IMG]

edit- personally i think tabbing should be a feature of the OS that could be implemented by applications that deem it useful. microsoft should be implementing tabbing into windows.

11. whup

I think the way the tabs are in those screenies are good. The space at the top is simply the window titlebar, and the space to the right is reserved for further tabs.

I wonder if they'll support the Firefox Extensions API out of the box?

Looking forward to the beta, bigtime!

12. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

ya, but it's unnecessary. there's nothing in the windows titlebar since the titles all go in the browsers tabs, so it means nothing will EVER be there and it's just wasted space.

13. El Beaner

El Beaner OT Supporter

Anyone downloaded a beta of it yet?

Any issues?

How does it fair up against FF 3?

Interested and might consider it.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

No offense, but they only hire the best and brightest. "Of course they'd hire me" won't cut it with google.

15. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

new news = server crashes:mamoru:

16. deusexaethera

Well shit, it's not like I'd tell them that. Confidence does help, though.

Anyway, I argued against having the tabs above the URL bar too, but that's because in most browsers, there aren't actually multiple URL bars and menu bars, so making it look like there is is deceptive. The way Google has implemented it, though, there's basically a totally separate instance of the entire browser for each tab, and they just share a window. So in this case, it makes much more sense.

17. El Beaner

El Beaner OT Supporter

Ah, well we will see tomorrow how it fairs.

18. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

as long as they didn't ask any ethernet question in the interview process :mamoru:

19. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

so why dont you just apply?

20. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

So has the beta been released yet? Supposed to come out today :o

21. Frequency

Frequency New Member

1pm PST IIRC

22. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

That would be OPPOSITE to the google philosophy, and because Chrome is FOSS that can't happen. You can't close people out when your source code is there for them to copy. That would be a closed source, redmond strategy. Google wants every other browser to copy Chrome - to get more people to hit google.com more and better, to make them more money.

23. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i don't think even google has the clout to force people to use Chrome by modifying their search engine. their search engine and ad tools are what bring in the $$$. no way they're going to fuck up the money stream trying to strong arm people into using their beta browser.

now, maybe they'll add some slickness to the search engine that only works with Chrome, but i couldn't imagine them doing what Microsoft was accused of and purposefully breaking other browsers.

24. whup

Yeah they can likely have "this works best with Chrome" for gmail and google.com as well as their other killer apps.

This will make their browser likely explode even amongst the non technical people, as if it's not going to be super popular already.

The other browsers can chase, but they're not going to keep up with a browser being developed by people paid full-time of the calibre of Google. Opera are the only ones that could remotely compete but they lack the market share, and it's too late for them now.

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Its not hard to keep up with Chrome when you can download the source to how it works and copy it. Google doesn't need to win market share - it can seed browser features to other browsers and Chrome is still a win because it improves the google experience, thus driving more traffic to their site.