GUN Goodies for my Mossberg 500

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Cable Guy, Aug 15, 2008.

1. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

So I've yet to pick up my boomstick, but I already ordered a bunch of stuff to slap on once I do get it.

Parts list:
    Knoxx SpecOps Stock
    Knoxx/Hogue Forend
    TacStar 6 round sidesaddle
    Nylon buttstock 5 Shotshell carrier (For use on fullstock)
    John Masen Heat shield

Should I also get a limbsaver? Would it fit on the Knoxx?

Yes, calgunners, this is a repost :o

2. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Shoot without the limbsaver to get a feel for the shotgun first? :dunno: I see the sales on 870s at Big 5, but have yet to purchase one.

3. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

I guess i could do that

4. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

It might help you learn to hold the shotgun correctly in order to absorb the recoil.

And it'll give you some kickass battle scars (shoulder bruises).

5. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

I can handle small game/target loads pretty easily, despite my size. I'm more concerned about buckshot and slugs :noes:

6. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

you might not even need the limbsaver. i shot my 870 today w/ the speedfeed PG stock w/ the swat plate and it wasn't as bad as i thought it'd be.

7. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

What loads were you shooting?

8. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

RIO Low Recoil 00BK and Win Birdshot, 2 3/4dreq i believe.

I shot the same setup w/ a limbsaver slipon through a 3 day class and i felt nothing if that tells you anything. :o

9. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

If you are holding the gun correctly to your shoulder you should never have bruises

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The trick on stock placement is not to put the stock on your collar bone, or anywhere you can feel stock on bone. Old military style instruction had you holding your strong side elbow up (chicken wing)and quartering off (traditional rifle stance were your shooting away at an angle). This creates more of a pocket for the stock where the stock sits on muscle.

The new technique that is going to seem really really odd but seems to be the best is to square up on the target like your shooting pistol. Then you put the stock inot your chest like your right pec muscle with a very low cheek weld. Bend your knees and lean into the gun. Works best with a pistol grip shotgun. To be honest I have never gotten used to this stance as i have like a million hours of shooting a more traditional stance quartering off.

11. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

Through my years of competitive shotgun shooting and instruction, I have NEVER heard of this

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Sporting clays is behind the times :) Also you don't shoot pistol grip stocks in clays. Main advantage of the pistol grip shotgun is they are great for weak hand reloads.

This is the style taught by matt burkett. Seems like 1/2 the guys shooting 3 gun are doing this.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of bevin shooting squared up. Looking at the picture you can see that it's not that odd looking. Only thing is look how squared up he is and the stock placement on the right pec instead of the shoulder.

[​IMG]
    compared to jack (used his pic because it's also a pistol grip stock, Squaring up is super awkward with a strait stock). Notice the stock placement and that he is more quartered off to the target.

14. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

I'll try it at the range today, but it feels like it hinders your movement (trying it with a dummy shotty I keep in the office). The ability to shoot moving targets is one of the biggest advantages of a scatter gun.

15. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

interesting pics...

I will probably never own a pistol grip gun though.

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

It is going to feel extremely awkward with a strait stock. in terms of swinging the gun it's actually better. You'll have more range of movement. Look at pistol with the squared up modern isosceles vs the quartered off outdated weaver. Better range of movement and better stance to manage recoil.

17. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

The guy doing the outdated weaver has his gun too high anyways

18. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If your talking about jack I would disagree. He is probably top 10 in the nation shooting 3 gun. You will see when you shoot 3 gun that the traditional fixed positions of structured shooting such as clays goes out the window. Your stance is constantly changing as your shooting on the move, shoting, reloading shooting, reloading.

Sometimes you have to get a high hold like that to shoot over a structure. Sometimes you have to unmount the gun completely to shoot over a structure (think trench clearling). I've seen guys shoot the shotgun unmounted around corners with slugs, as they ran by. (with 2 hits btw)

Your going to have to unlearn a lot of stuff.

19. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Man add curb feelers to that list and you'll have everything. Do you really need 2 extra shell carriers? A heat shield? Heavy shotguns suck, you very will might ditch some of the bling if you wind up shooting it much.

20. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

lol if only you knew. Bevin (who is a gunsmith btw) has the most advanced stuff. That shotgun is probably the lightest weight open benelli in the world.

The silver bracket on the bottom of the gun is a tech loader ramp. He cut 2/3's off of it to lightene weight. The bolt is completely lightened. Did you notice you can see through the receiver for the notch for the charging handle. That's right it's got charging handles on the right and left side. Those holes are not a heat sheild. The barrel is ported to drive gas to offset muzzle flip. There are also a ton of internal mods to the gun to improve function and reliability. I should get a pic of his AR, that would really blow your mind

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I was refering to the OP yar who plans on adding every tactical accessory in the book including the ever funny heat shield :big grin:

If I ever put my stock mounted balaclava dispenser into production, i'll be rich.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  22. Maybe someone should run the numbers on something like this.

23. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

You know I did not read the OP. All of that stuff is garbage with the exception of the limbsaver. The knox stock is garbage, heat sheilds are garbage

24. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

My problem with his hold is that he could hurt himself holding the shotgun up there, but whatever...

I won't "unlearn" a thing, I will learn some new things to use in different situations as I go.