Good website for a laptop?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by OSLabelle, Jun 29, 2007.

1. OSLabelle

OSLabelle OT Supporter

I'm looking for a website that offers financing to canadians and isn't overpriced and shitty like dell. Or maybe even a local store. Any fellow canadians out there that can help me out?

2. samm

samm Next in Line

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

don't be a faggot. don't get a dell.

Does Lenovo finance? I recommend paying cash for laptops, tho.

4. Clarity

Clarity New Member

good answer. "don't be homosexual" :ugh::ugh::ugh:

5. Icedtea

Icedtea New Member

In my recent experience don't get a lenovo. My boss ordered one a month ago and they said he shouldn't expect to receive it for at least another month probably.

I ordered a dell two weeks after him and got it approximately 4 days after ordering it.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

god damn it, this forum breaks like half of the rules for vBulletin formatting tags. doesn't work, [noparse] doesn't work,
    HTML:
     doesn't work...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  7. deusexaethera

I hope you realize how stupid it is to judge the quality of the laptop based on the shipping time. Your boss' laptop will run well for years after your Dell has crumbled to dust.

8. Icedtea

Icedtea New Member

I never mentioned a quality analysis (which is about as stupid as comparing pepsi to coke), I was just comparing the shipping times for a product that is far from custom. Waiting 2 months for a product that is basically cookie cutter is ludicrous imo.

He was also put on hold for literally over 40 minutes with lenovo trying to figure out when he would receive it and why it would take so long.

edit: and god forbid I actually post a personal experience instead of just saying "LOL DELL SUCKS KILL YOURSELF"

9. deusexaethera

Let's do a quick review:

I don't know how you read your own post, but to me you very clearly (though possibly unintentionally) said that the guy should get a Dell instead of a Lenovo because the Dell will ship faster. Does that seem reasonable?

I agree that waiting an hour on hold to find out it will take a month to get your new widget is unpleasant, but unpleasant or not, there's still no reason to be a gnat buzzing around Lenovo's corporate head, threatening to deprive them of a hundred bucks' worth of profit if they don't ship their superior product just as fast as Dell's inferior product. Unless the OP absolutely must have a laptop by COB next Friday, it's better to wait for the better product, even if the wait is unjustified, because Lenovo won't miss his money, but the the OP will miss Lenovo's quality.

10. Icedtea

Icedtea New Member

I guess my point being your saying a dell is crappy is worth no more than me saying it isn't crappy.

Basically saying why wait 2 months for a pepsi when you can get a coke now.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes but both are sodas, both are colas, and both are reasonably the same. Some prefer coke, others prefer pepsi -- but they are interchangable, for the most part. They are also quite inexpensive (around $1.00) and have a relatively short life span (it takes from a few minutes to a few hours to exhaust a soda).

Laptops, however, are quite different. There is a signifigant gap in the fit and finish, overall quality, reliability, strength, durability, performance, and prestige of a Lenovo ThinkPad vs a Dell. With the relatively high purchase cost (can be several thousand dollars) and relatively long lifespan (years) the differences are much more pronounced, and critically important when choosing a notebook, as opposed to a mere soda.

12. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Due to the Dell hate that occurs in this subforum, I almost stayed away from them. However, I bought one due to the price, financing options and features. It was quite simply, the greatest bang for the buck and came with everything I was looking for.

I'm a gamer and I can play pretty much any game with graphics maxed, only one (AOE3) did I have to back the graphics off a tad to improve the performance, and I simply turned off complex shadows and trilinear filtering and it was great!! I didn't even notice the changes in game...it still looks good to me.

I've had this laptop for close to 1 year now and it's simply the best computer I've ever worked with.....and yes, I've been around a lot of them and worked with many different kinds. It's rock solid, never locks up or crashes, new software that I've installed (which is quite a bit) just works and it's fast as hell! The one complaint I have is the screen can be a bit floppy when it's open and I'm banging away on the keyboard on a non-stable surface....other than that....no issues.

I bought the Inspirion E1705 (specs were posted long ago....search if you want specifics) and I have a friend that got the E1505 a few months before me. Neither of us have had any problems, certainly nothing like the fear mongers here would love for you to believe. Also, most comparisons to price, that I see/saw, compare to the XPS line while completely ignoring the Inspirion line.

Anyways, don't be so quick to dismiss Dell simply because others here prefer a different brand.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The Inspirion lineup is their worst lineup. And that's from Dells mouth. Those are their ultra-crappy low-budget cut-all-corners models.

The fact that you enjoy yours leads me to believe you've never had anything better.

14. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

It'll take weeks to get a Thinkpad if you buy it from Lenovo, but if you buy it from a web retailer you'll probably save money and get it in days. You'll be unable to customize it, though..

15. Icedtea

Icedtea New Member

Like I said, it's the same as two people yelling at each other one saying "Ford sucks" while the other yells "Chevy sucks."

16. Coottie

Like I said...I've worked with plenty of different kinds. I've put together plenty and even used to sell Apples back in the early 90s. I've been around computers since the late 70s so yes, I've seen a lot and worked with a lot.

However, you are one of the loudest Dell haters here, if not the loudest. I have no interest in convincing you that they are very good computers.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I remember when Dell built a solid machine... Those days are long gone. When they do it again, I'll say their good. Until then, I call it like I see it.

18. Coottie

until you let go of your Dell hate, the solid machine could be sitting there sucking your dick and you wouldn't realize it because you are so entrenched in your position.