good web design?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tailgate, Jun 14, 2003.

1. tailgate

tailgate Whats with today, today?

anyone have any tips on good web design.

opinions on frames?, should only web safe colors be used?, should scrolling be necessary, or should I put links to next pages ....

opinions on stuff like that or anything else would be helpful...

Thanks

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Frames look very amateurish these days. Don't use black or very dark backgounds. Scroling down the page is fine, but it's good practice to make sure that even people running low res monitors (say 800x600) won't have to scroll horizontally. Also, if you're doing this for someone else and expect them to maintain it, DON'T PUT A STATIC MENU ON EVERY PAGE. The people that did my school's website did this, so if we ever want to add a section we would have to add it to the menu on every single fucking page individually (or just rebuild the whole page ;)).

3. tailgate

well, Im using 3 frames, 1 on the left, 1 on top, and a main frame, the top frame has the logo for now, the left has all the menu options and opens the links in the main frame.
    take a look and let me know wha you think.

http://www.bjakub.com/sai/index.html

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

For what you're doing, you can easily live without frames (this is also assuming you have access to SSI, CGI, or some web scripting language). Frames is the 'F' word in web dev. The only time I'd recommend frames is if you absolutely have to implement something using iframes and you need to support old school browsers (such as NS v4.7x). Now days, if you know your CSS, you can do some simple CSS tricks and completely wiggle around frames, yet still have the scrolling.

Dark backgrounds are kinda cool. But they work well for non-professional / non-commercial sites. If its going to be a commercial site, then you may want to brighten it up a bit (in theory, it depends on the business and your goals for the site).

Did I mention frames are evil?

The best thing you can really do is just look around and see what others have done. Take the parts of the sites that you like and try to work them into your design. Some people also really enjoy trying to invent something totally new...

5. tailgate

thanks for the input, im still learning the new stuff, last time I did web dev was around 4+ years ago.

6. definitely learn css, as it is wixed useful and makes things much easier when applying styles to repeating elements.
    if you need to use frames, use them for a navigation bar on larger sites. if its a small site, tho, maybe static nav bar is better.
    and like astro said, lighter colors are better for commercial sites, and darker colors for a personal site.

7. Penguin Man

Yep, the color scheme looks pretty good (although as mentioned before, if it's a professional/corporate site you might want to lighten it up). Also, the frames should go, and maybe break up the page a bit by making the content a different color than the header/nav bar. And, no more frames ;).

8. tailgate

9. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

looks 100000% better :big grin:

10. Penguin Man

Yep, looks much better. Still needs some work (especially in continuity - make sure all the pages have the same layout), but still, much nicer.

11. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

No frames! Nice!

I'm being nit-picky:

You're nav and logo images have a gray-ish background, but the gray doesn't match up with the background color of your site (I'm guessing your table background color). A few things you can try:

- make your images with web safe colors
    - make your images transparent
    - remove the images and swap in with CSS flavored text (looks like you're using a flavor of Arial set on italic at a large pitch - this can all be done with CSS. And you can easily do roll overs too.)