Good waxes for new cars?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by vr6t, Dec 11, 2003.

1. vr6t

vr6t Guest

I bought a new cast last week and want to persevere the paint. It's silver paint, so I don't need anything super glossy, just tough and long lasting.

The steps I plan on following are:
    1.) wash
    2.) dry
    3.) Clay bar to remove any partials that this car has gotten since it was delivered to the dealership.
    4.) Wax

I just don't know which wax to use. I think I want a polymer sealant, but shouldn't I put something on underneath it to richen things up and nourish the paint? I'm thinking that I want something with NO abrasives, just because the paint is already 100% flawless with no embedded contaminates. It is a VW, so I think it's an enamel paint if that matters.

What do you think?

2. GSRstilez

GSRstilez New Member

Hey,

I'm not sure where you are located, but a typical carnauba wax is not going to last very long...Usually max 3 months, depending on what kind of conditions it is in.

Good paint sealants that are reccomended among enthusiasts all over are:
    -Zaino
    -Platinum Ultimate Paint Protection
    -Klasse Twins

What you could do to get that protection and gloss is go straight to a sealant after your clay bar. Personally, I would do a coat of Klasse AIO (cleaner with no abrasives), then Klasse SG (following the proper way of drying and curing time). I have found this combo to work out very nice and it will leave more or less 6 months of protection. Klasse will last you soo long since you do not have to use much at all.

If you want, what many people do, is top their sealant with a carnauba wax to enhance the 'wetness' of the finish. A popular, nice priced wax for light cars is unarguably: S100 Paste Wax.

Here is a pic of a Silver Audi (same paint as your VW) that I detailed with a cleaner polish, then coated with 1 layer of S100.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: I have never used Platinum UPP or Zaino, but I'm sure someone will chime in about those. If you have any other questions just put em on the thread. Good Luck!

3. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Stay away from Zaino. Just too much work for mediocre results. My advice:

Wash
    Clay
    Final Polish (search for a link)
    Carnauba Moose wax from clearkote.net

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

There are several good combinations that you can use.

>My favorite traditional (carnauba) combination is Clearkote's Vanilla Moose Hand Glaze followed by their Carnauba Moose Wax. It leaves a very deep and intense wet look and I'm getting a good 3 months durability here in the Dallas area.

Vanilla Moose/Carnauba Moose:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

>The easiest sealant type route is Poorboy's Polish w/Carnauba and their EX Sealant. The polish is an easy on/off product and their Sealant (which contains carnauba) only requires a few minutes to haze for removal.

Poorboy's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

>Another easy way to get good protection is to use Car Polishes Final Polish topped with S100 or Carnauba Moose. Final Polish is a sealant with great durability that has a fine polish that cleans the paint effectively. You can also use Winner's Choice Polymer Finishing Creme which is a non abrasive sealant and then top it with S100 or Carnauba Moose.

Vanilla Moose/Winner's Choice Finishing Creme (no carnauba topper):

[​IMG]

Final Polish/S100:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've just begun playing around with the Klasse twins and Platinum's Ultimate Premium Protection with good results. The main drawback is that with both Klasse SG (the sealant) or UPP, you need to let the product dry for about 30 minutes or so or they may streak upon removal. If you apply them in real thin layers, you shouldn't have much of a problem though. Real good durability and not nearly as finicky to use as Zaino can be.

Klasse AIO (all in one) and SG (sealant glaze):

[​IMG]

Klasse AIO and Platinum's UPP:

[​IMG]

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

BTW, you may have noticed that the sealant combos have a brighter look with slightly stronger reflections while the VM/CMW combo has a deeper and wetter look. That pretty much seems to be the rule with protectants.

A sealant topped by a carnauba gives the best of both worlds, IMO.

6. Pats300zx

Pats300zx New Member

Awesome pics and work as always Scott..... :bowdown: