Good upconverting DVD player

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kieffer87, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Like the title says I'm looking to upgrade from my progressive scan dvd player to an upconverting one. Wondering what to look for and what is good. I don't really want to buy an HD one yet they are pretty pricey imo. Any ideas?

2. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

OPPO.

http://oppodigital.com/

/thread.

But, if you have an Xbox360... I'd get the HD-DVD add-on for $200 and the VGA cable, and it'll upconvert regular DVD's and play HD-DVD's.

:)

3. Kieffer87

hmm interesting, I was considering an xbox360 in the future. Does the ps3 upconvert as well?

4. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Do not think so automatically...

5. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I have the Oppo 971, when we ordered it the 981 wasn't out yet. The DVDs look good, somewhere between real HD and the HD we get from Dish. Looks ALOT better then the last DVD we had, which was a std non progressive upconverting RCA model. The only complaints I have is this, when trasitioning to a dark (almost totally black) scene the DVD player ghosts the image pretty bad in some cases. I'm lead to believe it's due to the way the Oppo's chipset trys to fix the common chroma bug present in almost all DVDs. For instance we watched Pulse, the end where the credits started rolling was badly ghosted. It happened a few times during the movie itself. If the movies you watch aren't overly dark you'll never notice this issue, my kids' Disney DVDs will probaly never have this ghosting issue.

6. Kieffer87

Interesting thanks for the input. So what exactly is progressive scan then step before upconverting?

7. Kieffer87

nm did my own research. hmm what to do.

8. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

I went out and bought the Philips upconverting DVD player, and I notice no difference between that with HDMI and my Xbox (not 360) on component cables. But my TV is only 30 inches.

9. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Denon DVD-1930

10. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Denon is good.

I have the Samsung.. LOVE it.

11. james330i

james330i Imported Redneck

oppo is about the only good one, unless you step into the $2-3,000 world of independent scalers

i have a denon with built-in faroudja scaler and it makes little difference on my Sony 60" LCD.

Ive come to realize native HD content > Pseudo-HD content so I wont' even bother with a new DVD player anymore

12. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

Sony DVP-NS75H should be able to get it for under 100

13. Ronin

Ronin Guest

if you want a baller one get a denon with the new HQV video processing unit, it rapes over faroudja processors

14. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

The oppo has problems playing burned dual layer discs... so if you uh... back up movies... you may want to look elsewhere.

15. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

up converters are a waste of money.

16. Ronin

Ronin Guest

your mom's a waste of money

17. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

oooohhhh fucccking shitt:bowdown: :bowdown: :rofl:

18. tim122576

tim122576 Active Member

From consumer reports... :eek3:

Panasonic, Sony, and Toshiba are among the biggest-selling brands of DVD players. Virtually all new DVD players are progressive-scan models. When used with a conventional TV, these players provide the usual high DVD picture quality. With a TV that can display high-definition images, image quality is slightly better. (That’s because HD sets support the player’s progressive-scan 480p mode, drawing 480 consecutive lines on the screen. By comparison, with a conventional TV, every other line is drawn and then combined.) Some newer players claim to upconvert all DVDs to 720p or 1080i HD quality on an HDTV. Our tests found no improvement over 480p quality.

19. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

That means their test monitors have as good as or better onboard upconvertors. If you have an older TV you'll see a difference.

20. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

I seen no difference in my upconverting dvd player vs my Sony or Panasonic dvd player because my tv has a better upconverter

21. Waddup you?

Waddup you? OT Supporter

this is also somewhat of an issue with my phillips 963sa dvd player. :coolugh: it can play back up copies like no other, is multi region(thanks to a remote control region hack), but is sketchy when playing dual layer discs. the xbox 360 I think also has the same problem.

I borrowed my friend's oppo one time, and it played almost flawlessly. I am thinking maybe its my computer hardware/software(for backing up DL dvds) that is making the video frame rate rough.

that said, is there a dvd player I should be looking out for that can play DL's smoothly, is multi region(or hackable), and cheap? or do I have to do without one of these factors? :o I can always get a multi region dvd player from the local karoake supply place :mamoru:

Edit: just burned a DL disc, and plays flawlessly in the xbox 360. no sketchiness at all.

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  22. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i have a 40" samsung lns4041d lcd screen. i previously had a phillips dvp642 dvd player. it didn't upconvert, but it was connected with components (no hdmi or dvi on the player).

i recently upgraded to this [link], it's a dvp5982. it claims it will do 1080p, but that doesn't matter because my tv will do 1080i. anyways, my tv's native resolution is 1366x768 anyways. i keep it on the upconversion setting of 720p (it will also do 480p and 1080i).
    after extensively testing it on different material, i seriously see no difference whatsoever. it is nice to have only one cable going to the tv though, gotta love hdmi. i have a feeling my tv does a better job of upconverting than the dvd player can do.

23. cacique78

cacique78 Member

Yes it does with the new firmware update it can upconvert though it's nothing to write home about