GUN Good thread about Glock KB's

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Michael Westen, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Michael Westen

Michael Westen OT Supporter

2. It's amazing how many of these kB stories involve reloads, and how everyone swears they didn't fuck up said reloads.

3. Michael Westen

Yep, totally agree, but, i'm sure it happens with factory ammo on occasion.

Would be better if Glock would just revise the design to fully support the cases, at lest on the .40, .357. and .45 models.

I would suspect plenty of others are due to shooting +p and +p+ loads as Glock says not to use them.

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

There is no way to do a fully supported chamber in a glock. You can support the chamber more but it will never be fully supported because of the glock design. The aftermarket glock barrels such as the barsto, kkm, briley etc have more support but then again the stock glock barrel because of the bigger opening will feed better.

Any gun can kB if you have bad brass or ammo. The glock was more prone to this due to the fact that there are just so many of them thus more idiots to shoot unsafe loads, and the polygonal rifling does not do well with naked lead bullets.

I've been shooting glocks for many many years and work for a compnay that builds glock race guns for competition. I have seen and experienced many minor kB's. The mag will shoot out of the bottom of the gun and you'll get a good wack in the hand but it does not blow up the gun. Most of the time it's bad brass which will kB or case head failure. These will all be minor. The major failures are due to too high a pressure due to serious leading of barrel, double ingnitions due to too little powder, or double charge of powder.

Again it can happen to any platform not just glocks.

here is a 1911 major kB
    [​IMG]

and a HK USP

[​IMG]

5. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Sig KB:
    [​IMG]

USP kb:
    [​IMG]

XD kb:
    [​IMG]

1911 kb:
    [​IMG]

Shiloh Sharps kb:
    [​IMG]

6. The_Ratt

The_Ratt Hedepnaw

Glock kb:
    [​IMG]

7. Michael Westen

The .40 S&W and .357 sig have pretty high pressure, those models seem to have more trouble than others.

Of course it isn't a perfect solution, but a re-design to make a better supported chamber might be a good idea.

oh and yar, you don't need to come out to defend the Glock, I carry one. Just came across that while looking into stuff about them. I wouldn't mind having a better barrel, but as said, that could cause feeding problems. Since the Glock is my current carry piece, id rather just leave it alone, I don't need to shoot it often anyways.

8. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

You mean put 12grs of powder in a 6gr load and it KB's who would have thought

9. Michael Westen

There seems to be problems with fouled barrels causing higher pressure and leading to malfunctions.

I guess there goes that theory of some of the Glock elitists saying you never need to clean them.

10. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

you're sure? no evidence? just "i'm sure?" damn, you got me. i'm going to sell all 6 of my glocks tomorrow :rofl:

11. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

troll troll troll your boat...

12. Keesh

Keesh New Member

My mind, you blew it. :eek4:

13. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

There's a guy on arfcom who accidently ran a double charge through his 1911. He ran another 100 rounds through the gun after that, on the same range trip. That's the only time I've heard of a gun surviving a double charge.

14. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

My buddy was telling me that down at his range a last weekend a guy showed up (this was at like noon) reaking of booze, and blew up a super blackhawk. Apparently damn near took himself out over that one.

Shooting reloads of course, but he didn't know what happened. The RO was less than thrilled about the affair (apparently he was still hammered), and he now no longer is allowed on the premises. lol.

That Sharps KB looks pretty rough. Wonder if that guy walked away.

15. Michael Westen

I guess you skipped over the parts where I said I have one, and have no trouble with them... just wish the design could be made a little better.
    :hsugh:

Oh, and all factory ammo is flawless. :hsugh:

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The thing is most people do not understand what causes a kB. Then there is the whole glock bashing thing. Again it is not really a barrel thing. You can shoot a partially unsuported barrel such as the factory glock barrel with no problem if your shooting factory ammo or virgin brass reloads. If you clean the barrel somewhat regularly and do not shoot naked lead then it is highly unlikely to be an issue.

Where you get into problems is if you reload range brass as you have no idea how it's been handled. For instance if it was polished with something like brasso that leaches strenght from the brass your seriously risking case failure.

Then there is the issue of using too light a recoil sping. The gun unlocks early and you get a kB, though it's going to be a minor one.

As everyone knows I sell lots of glock components. If your shooting factory ammo you are fine with the stock barrel. If your shooting reloads then a aftermarket barrel with the more support in the chamber is a little added insurance if your using range brass.

As far as loads go it's not just a matter or over or under loads. Too many factors, it is dependent on powder and pressure. Certain fast powders like tite group cannot double ignite thus they are good for light loads. If you light load a slow powder then you can get a double ignition. In man cases this is worse then a double charge. The opposite is true in most cases with a over charge. A slow power just won't full burn, but a fast powder is probably going to be a issue. I mostly load slow powders and I load compressed loads. Generally when I go too much I get lots of unburt powder and beat up the brass with flattened head stamps, or primer flow. When I max out a 9mm with a compressed load it'll pop the primer which in itself is pretty scary but it won't blow.

17. Michael Westen

So you don't think the glock with less chamber support is at all more vulnerable for case failures, or maybe when ammo fails to feed completely into the chamber? I would think it makes it a little bit worse. :dunno:

18. Michael Westen

I post information that I have found, and give my opinion. Pretty much what a discussion is about.

Sorry I am no expert like you! :uh:

So are you saying that factory ammunition NEVER has any flaws, never has any failures, no duds, no case failures, no trouble of any sort? if so, you are one dumb fuck, thats for sure.

19. Michael Westen

Not sure what you are trying to get at. :hs:

I don't see what the problem is, I found a thread which I thought would be a good read. Since I don't know anything about reloading and some of the other conditions (which have been explained in this thread) which can cause a KB. And I have been asking questions based on what I have heard to get more knowledge. I never claimed to know everything, and I do know that factory ammo can have flaws, as I have run into them before.

So what exactly the fuck is your problem?

20. That's odd, seeing as you didn't pose a question at all initially, and made a snide comment. All I see here is a stupid initial post and a whole lot of waffling and backtracking from you.

21. Michael Westen

You mean Glock perfection my ass?

They damn sure aren't perfect, nothing is. I guess satire, sarcasm etc > some people here.

Missed the part that I carry a Glock?

I also simply posted a thread with some good pics and maybe some info. As people pitched in, I asked some questions, and typed in what I have heard, of course some of it could be myths, internet is always true of course. :mamoru:

I guess I should find other boards to post about weapons on, this place mostly just brings out the assholes and elitists.

22. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

No, dickhead. You first made a comment ridiculing "Glock perfection", then went on to state how Glock "should" redesign their barrels to compensate for this "problem". You imply not only that Glock sucks, but that you apparently know better than all in regards to their barrel design.

Yar's twice tried to set you straight, but it's obvious you don't get it. This isn't a big deal, and should be an obvious concept to grasp even for someone with a room temperature IQ.

23. Elitists? Aren't people who are elitists usually those who look down on other guns because their gun of choice costs more, or is somehow less functional, but more desirable to those who have limited knowledge? How are Glock fans elitists? Face it, most pistols cost less than Glocks, and most are prettier. Who could Glock people even act elitist towards, Lorcin owners?

24. Michael Westen

Sacrasm > you too it seems.

I have always known that reloads are usually the problem. And I read about plenty of other guns blowing up. Also most sources say that a fully supported chamber would help some, but not eliminate the problem. Well, if a company is going to claim their products are perfect, seems like it would make sense to keep improving them. A fully supported chamber would be a good step.

25. Michael Westen

You haven't noticed pretty much every thread where somebody asks what pistol to get, or posts what they have... at least 1 person shows up and says, "should have bought a Glock" or "get a Glock" ? :ugh:

and again.. I own one, I like it, very much, have no problem with it. But it is certainly not "perfection"