Good Technology for Fitness Training?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by cassetti, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cassetti

cassetti New Member

I'm a college student, 21, and lovin my new self

I have recently (for the past 8 months) taken up a healthy lifestyle - I've lost 1 inch on my waist (now a 30 inch waist), and put 20 pounds on (maybe not all muscle - but still - i've gotten a LOT stronger - and everyone is amazed)

Since i work for a local computer company - i luckly have access to lots of electronics at dealer cost.

I've been looking at the higher end scales that measure muscle mass, body fat, water percentage, etc

I am wondering, what scales are most accuarate or actually give close numbers (alot of scales like this are way off from what i read in reviews)

Or is there any sort of meter for checking out my body - and hooking it up to a personal trainer sort of system in the computer? I really love the vast sources of knowledge on the computer - but i am also interested in tracking my results - i show my parents my progress (since they see me like once a month) - and can get feedback from them - but i would like to see charts of my progress - track what i am doing, what works, what doesnt

Looking for options - price doesn't matter - so long as its under several hundered retail - i'll have no problem justifying buying it (and convincing my boss to order it from one of our sources)

2. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

None are remotely accurate. There is only one way to get an accurate bf%, and standing on a scale with some magic math is not the answer.

3. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

werd, you have got to measure density

4. cassetti

cassetti New Member

right - i don't care if they are totally accurate - my plan is to track myself by doing tests first thing in the morning - and then again after work - which is around 5 durring the week - and average those numbers - body fat really doesn't bother me - i'm just wondering what products are out there that are useful - are scales the only one - or are there others for connecting to the computer to download data?

5. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

dude, the body fat percentage is never actually measured. Its possibly the biggest bullshit gimmick of any health product ever. Consider the input data, and how the scale determins the density of fat vs muscle / water / bone / semen / shoes...

ITs a fucking lie, just like jesus.

6. cassetti

cassetti New Member

lol - i don't care about body fat - what about muscle mass - is that useless or is that number good if the scale is decent?

7. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

No. The scale cannot calculate body fat, but can accurately calculate mussle mass. Its a miracle of physics.

8. cassetti

cassetti New Member

so nobody yet has answered my main question - is there any hot relatively new state-of-the-art products otu there to track your progress beyond just a notepad and writing down what you ahve been doing each day (weight/reps/etc)

9. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

There's no "magic scale" that's going to give you an accurate reading. 99% of them out there just give you a BMI reading, which is useless since it doesn't measure your density. If you're really set on getting an accurate BF reading at home, you'll have to shell out a few grand:

http://www.getdunked.com/home/default.asp

10. trancezj

trancezj New Member

don't worry about the scale or body fat. Worry about what's looking back at you in the mirror.

11. cassetti

cassetti New Member

lol - ok - i do realize looking at ymself - and taking pictures - but i'd be interested in tracking what plan works best for me and what doesn't - ie, seeing about doing a light cardio workout before work, then my main workout after work - several times a week - or every day of the week - i like numbers

and i totally understand nothing will ever be accurate - i just like rough estimates but if it comes down to a differance of $20 between "accurate within 20%" or "accurate within 10%" - thats a lot beter in my opinion.guess nobody really has looked into new tech recently - i'll try to give some feedback on my experiances with these scales - show some data, when i get the scale and start doing some testing

12. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

Look dude, the results from these are total bullshit. Just looking at height and weight to determin BFI is non even remotely possible. Its the same as taking a car, weighing it, then asking for # of cylinders and predicting a 1/4 mile time.

If you don't use any data concerning tissue density, you don't have any clue what the results will be.

13. cassetti

cassetti New Member

gotcha - ok - thx

14. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

In other words, it's your money so waste it as you please. You're not going to get anything remotely accurate unless you get yourself tested via hydrostatic. You might as well save yourself the $50 and just type your numbers into an online BFI calculator, because that's all the scale is going to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.