good subwoofer (home theater)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mikeveli, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Mikeveli

Mikeveli The Don

i need a good subwoofer...something not too expensive but not a crappy ass one...and average-good sub...any ideas?

2. ImBad

ImBad blah blah

What price range are you looking at?

3. Mikeveli

Mikeveli The Don

not more then 250

4. importspeed

importspeed New Member

At that price point, its going to be hard. Check out the Mirage BPS 400...its like 400 and is AWESOME. 18hz deep...!

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

One word...

Shiva

The best bang for the buck 12" avliable. PERIOD!
    You can go to any home theater website with a DIY section, and look for yourself. 90% of all the people there use the Shiva. I myself even use the Shiva in my HT setup.
    http://www.adireaudio.com/diy/Drivers/Adire/shiva.htm

If you want bigger, go with the 15" Tempest
    http://www.adireaudio.com/diy/Drivers/Adire/tempest.htm

if you want REALLY fucking big...go with the Maelstrom. 18" of low end goodness.
    http://www.adireaudio.com/diy/Drivers/Adire/maelstrom.htm

Both the Shiva and Tempest are under $200.
    Infact you could by two Shivas for $250. And that would put out some serious bass. More then you could ever get out of any $300 sub you buy in a store.

THe coolest part about them, is that the owner of Adire Audio, Dan Wiggens, is an INCREDIBLY helpful person. He frequents many DIY audio sites, and always replys to e-mails to inquiries about his products. From quality, to performance, to enclosure building specs. Hes incredibly helpful, and knowledgable.

Like i said, go visit some DIY audio sites, 90% of the people there use the Shiva for their sub projects. Its a GREAT driver, even greater for the price.

6. LegendTodd

LegendTodd Guest

7. 04

04 Guest

I agree, but you could go cheaper than the shiva. Not that its a bad driver or anything... www.blueprintdrivers.com has its excellent 01 series for only 91 dollars shipped for the 12". It would be comparable in output to the shiva. Or the www.partsexpress.com DVC 12" is a great value too. You could mate any with the 150w partsexpress plate amp which should be around 100 dollars. That leaves 50 dollars for a box, which can be done if you decide to paint or carpet it. Less than 250 dollars, and could probably best a lot of the 500 to 600 dollar subs out there. :bigthumb:

8. Tecal

Tecal Guest

velodyne is the best shit i have ever heard.... but its expensive shit

9. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

THats true, but you wont get the quality, service, or guarentee that comes with an Adire product. Id rather pay $50 and know my ass is covered.

10. Tecal

Tecal Guest

for subs... i havnt heard anything better... my friend worked at a local (upperscale) Stereo shop... and its what he owned.... hgs 15... the thing is godly... it has the richest and deepest bass.. and absolutly brings out bass in everything.. (if you like it like that)

11. Wonka

Wonka Guest

Go take a listen to SVS or Hsu Research (preferably the latter).

12. 04

04 Guest

For max output or sound quality? The HGS 18 is probably one of the louder subwoofers commercially available. I couldnt comment on its sound quality because I personally havent heard one. But simply because of its size and displacement, I imagine it can go rather loud. Perhaps he was refering to the sheer output produced by this subwoofer?

Sound quality on the other hand is rather subjective. Some might like a more "boomy" bass than others. Some are going for extrmely flat frequency response from 20hz to 20khz. I would venture to say that the majority of the American public thinks that the "louder" speaker sounds the best. Thats just fine, after all its a matter of opinion.

In any rate, I personally dont think auditioning a sub in a room other than your own is a good idea. The size and shape as well as placement of a sub all greatly affect its output and frequency response. A sub that may measure ruler flat in frequency response, anechoic might measure rather poor in room. IMHO parametric equilization is the best thing for ANY sub, (unless you live in some perfect room) unfortunatly constraints such as money, time, proper equipment sometimes make this hard to do.

I personally am going to buy a behringer feedback destroyer, which is a prosound device, which as well as feedback elimination, has parametric equilization functions. After I get it, Ill be sure to post my frequency response graphs of my 18" sub before and afterwards. Right now it sounds pretty hideous, the sub REALLY needs equilization.

P.S. If anyone is wanting to try one to see if it could improve their system, they can be found for only 130 dollars on the internet. QUITE a good value for what you get.

13. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

:werd: