Good sub amp >200W RMS?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Apr 1, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm putting a sub in my car, and of course this requires an amp. Single-channel is fine, there's only one speaker so 200W @ 4ohm output is necessary. Infinity makes some nice looking amps, but they are freaking huge -- something like 9" by 14"! Can anyone suggest something smaller but just as good? I care about clean sound more than loud sound.

2. tellis100

tellis100 OT Supporter

Any of the Alpine PDX series will work, Class D and very small for the power they produce. But they are $$$. Depends on how much you want to spend

3. lawngn0me

lawngn0me In every wish and dream and happy home, you will f

so your sub is going to be SVC 4 ohm? I'd recommend getting a decent 2-channel amp and running it in bridged mode. You'll get a lot more power for a cheaper price at that point. In fact, that's what I'm doing. I have an older kenwood amp powering my sub. It's doing 460 watts @ 4 ohms bridged. I paid ~$100 for my amp and it's been doing really well for at least 4 years now.

4. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh Guest

Memphis

/thread

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

6. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

:dunno:

i never understood why people sackride memphis, it's fultron with a name change... sure they do a good job keeping the line clean, but i've seen 1 working memphis amp out of probably 20... but we don't sell them, so of course we'll only see the people who have problems with them... the other shop in town has dropped all their good lines, except jl... and uses memphis as their push line, with power acoustic as their budget line... but if you have good luck with them, that's cool. :bigthumb:

7. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

How much are you willing to spend?

The top main stream brands would be JL, Kicker, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, Eclipse, & JBL (IMO, when it comes to amps, no particular order).

I'm sure you're not looking for something like McIntosh, but you could look into Arc, Sundown, Zapco, Cadence, Helix, etc... You'll be spending $300-$600+ for what you're looking for from those companies, though.

And I'll just go ahead and warn you against anything from USamps now-a-days. Two MD2D and an IS2080 all with massive problems. Noise problems and grounding problems in the MD2D's and transistors burning up in the IS2080.

I have a USA-100 (Old school USamps, hand built in gainesville, FL in the 90's, 1ohm stereo stable) I'm looking to get rid of for $120 + shipping. It wont do 200w @ 4ohm (175ish), but these amps are well known and coveted in the car audio world. :dunno:

Because memphis gets loud and wins SPL competitions....too bad that isn't the objective here.

8. HiBillyMaysHere

HiBillyMaysHere New Member

Memphis amps sound like shit.

Personally I like JL Amps but that may be over kill for what your after. They do make a 250 sub amp.

9. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

shit, if you're wanting something cheap: [​IMG]

10. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

those or the kenwood comparable model is fine for a SVC 4 ohm sub.

11. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Ok, I am seriously happy with my Kicker KX series AMP. I am pushing 225 Watts RMS to 2 12" Subs, with peak hitting 275 Watts RMS. I don't care if you want that much pound; however, I would recommend the Kicker AMPS for one good reason besides their quality - they come with an RF remote, so instead of using my deck to balance how much bass is on, I can twist the potentiometer to increase and decrease the bass accordingly. This is key when switching between music types, since not all songs "bump" well. I hear people all of the time saying the want to spend a little to get a lot, or they don't want to take up the space. Honestly, just mount the map to the back seat, get a full mF Cap and a deep-cycle gel-pack battery.