MMA Good starter Gi?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Rojo Johnson, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Rojo Johnson

Rojo Johnson Active Member

I'm going to my first BJJ class Wednesday night. I won't need a gi right away but I want to get one ordered. What's a good brand to get? I don't want to get an expensive one right away.

Also, the gym has 2 gi and 2 no gi classes per week. I was thinking I should do one or the other and I figured gi would be better to start with, I don't know why...

2. NinjaBread

NinjaBread New Member

Start with Gi, it will help you alot with the technical aspects of the sport.

A cheap Gi that is nothing special, but still decent is Adidas brand gi's.

Although you might want to change to a more comfortable gi like Koral in future.

3. Rojo Johnson

Thanks, I figured gi would be better to start with. I'll have to check out adidas.

4. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

addidas and mizuno have cheap gis, I wouldnt go with the low ball addidas gi because they arent that great the mizuno gi is a lot better in quality for the money. A gi is really a long term purchase so I wouldnt mind spending a little extra money on it to get better quality because you might end up using the thing for 2 years or more. I have had my addidas gi since 2004.

5. Rojo Johnson

Thanks. I'll look at those too.

Also, is any cup fine or do you guys use a certain kind? I haven't worn a cup since little league.

6. .Tim

.Tim New Member

I use these:

http://www.combatsports.com/detail.aspx?ID=23893

and they work just fine.

7. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

Addidas
    $65 Cheap Single Weave
    Dragon says that this gi tears and I have heard the same thing from Judo guys. I would pick this up if you are strapped for cash and are planning on getting a new gi in a couple of months any way. Then you can just switch it up and use this as your alternate gi when your washing your main gi. That way you have 2 gis and dont waste money.

$115 Mid level Gi
    I know alot of people that have this one and dont have any complaints about it. There pretty durable.

164 Baller Addidas Gi
    I personally own this one and it hasnt given me any problems. I have had old rusty since summer of 2004. Used it hard from 2004 - 2006 and it got retired and Ive been rocking it since January again. Its a durable ass gi. I have to have been thrown over 5000 times in this thing when I was taking judo in college. So if it can hold me being slanged from left to right it has to be durable.

I have a fat ass freind that has the same gi as me and he still competes in judo and he got his at the same time. His is more worn then mine but it was his only gi from 2004 - 2007 then he alternates now between that gi and a mizuno gi. No tears on the gi jacket itself but the pants on his are done.

$35 Mizuno Single Weave
    dont know anything about it but mizuno is pretty reputable and have been around for ever. So I figure this is about the same quality as the addidas gi. Its cheaper so if you are going to eventually get another gi this is a viable option.

135 Mizuno Kano

This is the gi my judo sensei had. He had like 2 or 3 of them because he taught 6 classes a day so his gis would get really stinky after a day or two so he would have to have multiple gis to wash. He has been cycling those three gis for like 10 years haha.

$270 Mizuno Signature
    This is going to be my next gi and I will probably end up picking it up in the summer. Im either going to get this or one of the low ball mizuno or addidas gis to cycle with but I would like to have this as my baller gi haha.

8. XJ3B

XJ3B wat

FUJI

9. Rojo Johnson

Thanks Ripper:bowdown:

The plan is to get a cheaper one for now and get another one later on if I stick with it for a long time. I'm really excited about starting but you never know.

10. Spectatorsport

Spectatorsport OT Supporter

11. Rojo Johnson

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into the fuji too. Looks like I'll need an A6. So a Judo gi is fine for BJJ or would it be better to ge ahead and get a BJJ cut?

12. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Get a BJJ cut over a Judo cut for sure.

13. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

definately go cheap. sure a nice gi will last you for years, mine has. but if your just starting theres no reason to spend even 100 on a gi :dunno:

14. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah thats so true you never know where your priorites will be and if anything will come up in the next 3 - 4 months.

15. Rojo Johnson

Well the gym is only 10 minutes from me and it's $45 a month for 2 days a week. I just hope I'll enjoy it.

16. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

HKC or Fuji

17. Spectatorsport

Spectatorsport OT Supporter

If you can pay a little more, I would get the BJJ cut, but if you are on a super budget the judo gi would do in a pinch.

18. dragomungus

dragomungus New Member

go to www.warrior-one.com and go into their clearance section. They have a double weave BJJ gi for $39 that gets really good reviews for the price. They are unloading a bunch of clearance crap.

Do this.

19. Bausk

Bausk New Member

20. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Fuji.

21. Rojo Johnson

Did you mean $99? I'm not seeing it. :dunno:

22. Rojo Johnson

Well I had my first class and I loved it. We worked on side control and some subs/defense and escapes. We rolled for the last 30 minutes of the class and I almost caught another white belt in an anaconda choke. He was pretty light and he had a hard time staying in side control.

I haven't been back yet because my knees are all scabbed up from the mats and I've been working different hours. I think I'll be good to go by Wednesday though. It's gonna be $45/mo. for twice a week. I thought that was good. The instructor is a purple belt under Relson Gracie/Phil? I overheard him talking to some other guys. I'm going to ask him more next class. I'm itching to go back!

23. Rojo Johnson

Oh yeah, a freind of my wife's is going to start and she's looking for a gi. Is it true that women's are the same as men's?

24. dragomungus

dragomungus New Member

Positive.

www.warrior-one.com and go under the CLEARANCE section.. There is a double weave gi for $39 + shipping.. It's a SICK deal and I LOVE the gi..

Go check gain.. $99 was the original price - look for the clearance price..

Seriously, get that gi.

25. dragomungus

dragomungus New Member

yep, it's just based on your weight and height - not gender.