Good Ruby Book

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by .:JustaDrunk:., Mar 22, 2008.

1. .:JustaDrunk:.

.:JustaDrunk:. \/\/\/\/\/

Any Suggestions?

I've already been playing around with RoR, going through tutorials, but its time to kick it up a notch and buy a book.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

There is an excellent section on ruby in the book "fads of 2007".

3. .:JustaDrunk:.

i dunno about that

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

If you're going to be doing RoR, DEFINITELY check out The Rails Way
    By Obie Fernandez

5. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Have you read "fads of '99 - being cool in the interweb"?

6. .:JustaDrunk:.

ok thanks, i remember seeing that on amazon, along with a bunch of others.

7. .:JustaDrunk:.

sup fool

8. SLED

if you don't mind reading books on the web, i'd suggest you look at http://safari.oreilly.com I rarely buy books anymore, but i realize that some people still like a good ole hard copy

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

nigga check y0 copy, I co-wrote that ish.

10. .:JustaDrunk:.

cool, i'll keep that in mind for more references. but sometimes trusty old book helps me focus o what im doing. if i try to read something online i tend to wonder off and start doing something else. Plus i can read it at work and claim R&D

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Potty's...potty-ness...aside, what does anyone actually use Ruby for? Is it a general-purpose language like C, or what?

12. .:JustaDrunk:.

Web Sites/Services/Applications, im no expert tho, maybe after i read the book :dunno:

13. SLED

it's more like a perl/php/python variant.

been used a lot on the unix scripting side for a long time before making the appearance in the rails framework

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's fucking worthless. People hail it as a "quick-n-dirty" prototyping framework but then when you actually want to USE your proto, you have to completely re-do it in a worthwhile language. Just use .Net or PHP and you have a start-to-finish solution.

15. deusexaethera

So...what? Is it slow, or fragile, or hard to customize, or something else? You always have good reasons for your opinions, so what's wrong with Ruby?

(source citations not necessary, but are appreciated. :))

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I went through a few tutorials and start-ups with it and it seems if you want to follow along 100% then you get a down-and-dirty very INsecure, ugly, and simple, script... usually along the lines of a guest book or some other nonsense. It heavily relys on the use of scaffolding, and customizations are a royal pain in the ass. Every tutorial I saw that stressed the "quick to prototype" properties of RoR also made extra-sure to point out that you can not, in no way, use it in a production environment.

For example, the guestbook I tested out was extremely ugly (I mean it makes craigslist look like it should win design awards). Honestly, it might as well be used in lynx, because there wasn't a damn thing to make it appealing or even somewhat usable in a production environment. And changing it would require completely throwing away what you had and re-writing it.

Then you have the security aspect. It works so long as you never encounter any errors, and the user can always be trusted 100%. Since neither of these would be true, it's worthless. SQL injection? Oh yea, we're vulnerable. None of the strings were escaped, queries were passed as long strings, user input was taken at face-value, etc, etc.

The more you want to break away from script-showcase-101 the more frustrating RoR is. It also becomes more and more obvious that it's just a huge fad. That's why you don't see anyone using it for any purpose other than to be "hip" or "cool".

If you actually want to make a secure, customizable, stable, fast, web-based application, you are better off using PHP with a decent framework or .Net (which has a spectacular framework).

Personally, I am starting to switch to a lightly-modified Zend Framework for my new web apps. Before that I was used heavily-modified borderline-fork of CodeIgniter. Before that I was using a custom-built simple framework.

17. deusexaethera

Sounds like a good reason. You might be able to use it for something on an Intranet, but not where you don't know who's going to be using the app.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

employees are just as untrustworthy as customers. At least you should treat both types of apps with the same respect for security.

19. SLED

wow, i don't know what blog you got your info from, but the rails community is VERY anti writing any sql unless absolutely needed. Did you not even use the ActiveRecord ORM framework that comes installed by default with every rails release?

Scaffolding is very rarely used in any app that's isn't just meant to read and write simple records. To say that it "heavily relies" on it, is just ignorant.

Also, no framework is going to write your CSS for you, so as far as your test app looking worse than craigslist, that's your own fault. I could be wrong, but last time i checked, frameworks don't design your app for you graphically.

The only point you made that wasn't 100% uninformed bullshit was the performance fear. The truth to the matter is, it's with the ORM suite which many new frameworks are using the same anyways.

Like i've always stated in the past, it's a great tool for a lot of websites. Is it the RIGHT tool for 100% of projects out there? No. Is php? No. Is .NET? No.

Rails is a work in progress just like every other web framework out there and it will continue to get better.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I can't think of a single instance where RoR would be better suited than PHP, .Net, or JSP.

21. SLED

with how little you seem to know about the framework, it doesn't surprise me

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

enlighten me oh grasshopper, since you seem to think it's worth more than dogshit.

23. SLED

I have many successful rails installs locally with 50-100 concurrent users on all the time with zero issues. Didn't write a single line of sql, keeps my database versioned, forces good design patterns, MVC out of the box, and i have a fully restful webservice up with just a few lines of code.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

in other words there is nothing that RoR can do that couldn't be done with PHP/JSP/.Net.... got it!

25. SLED

well aren't we getting more and more generic with our statements as we backpedal.

the OP wanted a recommendation on a book. if you have no intelligent or informed input, then don't bother posting in the thread (trolling)