Good Rock Speaker kit/design? and amp?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by John, Aug 22, 2004.

1. John

John Guest

What are some good rock speakers, I'd prefer a DIY kit or design with easily available parts.

Budget is about 250-350 for a pair, will probaly be amplified by the Outlaw monoblocks (Used - I'm hoping I can get them for 200 per amp or less) but I'm up for suggestions on those, perhaps they are overkill...

Bass will be provided by the Shiva or Tempest from Adire and the berhringer ep1500 04 suggested. The source is CD by computer, or MP3 at a relatively high bitrate through a highly recommended chaintech card (envy ht24 or somethin) that is also very cheap at $25.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2004
  2. 04

04 Guest

The D3's would probably work well for your situation www.speakerbuilder.net

The problem I see with going with monoblocks is the crossover between the mains and the subwoofer. You'd have to buy an outboard crossover, or run them both fullrange (which I wouldnt reccomend). I'd probably say buy a surround reciever that has bass management instead. You can get a really good one for even 300 dollars or less.

3. John

John Guest

Yeah thats what I've also been thinking.

What receiver would you recommend though? I have a 3803 and its quite nice, but I don't have a budget for another one of those...

4. 04

04 Guest

I'm kinda partial to HK recievers, you can get the avr 130 for less than 300 dollars IIRC.

5. John

John Guest

Thats what I'll probaly get...