Good reciever and good surround sound?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 4bangin, Mar 25, 2002.

1. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

Mar 16, 2000
    What would you recommend for a set of surround sound speakers and a good reciever? Under $1000 for the speakers and under $700 for the reciever. Thanks!
  2. Wonka

Wonka Guest

3. Nosamk

Nosamk Guest

Receiver: Denon or Marantz

Speakers: way more subjective. Go listen to some good brands and buy what you like

NOTE: go to a decent home audio store; they should be willing to use the receiver you are considering buying to power the speakers you are considering buying. If they wont, leave. Speakers will behave very differently depending on what is pushing them, dont buy them based on how they sound being driven by a $2000 amp.

check these speaker brands:
    Definitive[not very musical IMHO, but great for surround sound], Energy, Boston Acoustics, NHT, Paradigm, psb, KEF, Klipsch, B&W

feel free to shoot me an email anytime 4b.
    [email protected]
  4. importspeed

importspeed New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Take a good look at the Onkyo and Marantz Brands. The Marantz 7200 is a hot piece. Plenty of clean power, it has a learning remote and multi-source. It is a really well built peice. Has gotten very good reviews. The 6200 is nice, but the remote is REALLY bad (same as last year's sr5000). I would avoid it. The Onkyo 595 and 696 are also good pieces.

If you need more info, let me know.