GUN Good range day yesterday!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JaimeZX, Jan 8, 2008.

1. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Set the wife up with my .22 rifle & 25 yards. After she got the hang of it she was shooting ~2 inch groups. I was proud of her. :big grin:

Meanwhile I shot my AR for the first time. Been a while since I've fired a rifle. :o Anyway. Started out at 25 yards and then transitioned to shooting the 100 yard gong. Had a buddy spotting for me. Got so I was hitting it maybe 3 or 4 shots out of 5.

Anyway then we moved over to the pistol range. Ming and I traded off shooting my 1911 with the .22 conversion for a while and then put the regular top back on for a final box of 50. :bigthumb:

All in all, lots of fun and Ming had a great first experience. Although she got bored with the .22 rifle after a while because I didn't bring binoculars so she couldn't see how she was donig. :p

2. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

I went to the pistol range yesterday... I put 250 rounds through my 2 glocks, and spent the rest of the time instructing the two people who came with me. A harris county sheriff, and a member of the army's 12th mountain division...:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

The sheriff was the worst fucking shot. Shooting a Para-1911 in .40. 5 yards... 2 FOOT FUCKING GROUP ON HER FIRST 10 AIMED SHOTS :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: And that wasn't because of 1 errant flier, she was all over the place.

I was just in shock. Took an hour to get her down to 6" groups.

The army guy wasn't any better with his 229 in .40... Jesus fucking christ. Good thing he carries an M4 or a SAW into battle, He's an excellent shot with a rifle. But he's dead if it comes down to pistols.

3. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Where are the pics?

4. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

I was too busy ensuring people who carry guns for their fucking jobs weren't being unsafe and trying to improve their skills. I know I got swept twice. :wtc:

5. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Yah, I meant to bring the camera but forgot it. :hs:

So. This being my first time firing the AR, yesterday was also my first time CLEANING the AR. I went to AR15.com and looked up cleaning procedures but even the dang field strip seemed pretty complex so I just wound up running a patch through the barrel a few times and wiping the whole thing down with solvent. Then I ran an oiled patch down the bore and oiled the bolt a little.

What do y'all usually do? And is this cheap Monarch ammo really dirty? The patches that came out of the barrel were way dirtier than I'm used to my barrels getting for how much I shoot.

Finally - does it usually take a lot of effort to get round #30 into a mag? Significantly more than #29? :o

6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

New mags should loosen up a little bit after you use them a little.

7. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

I guess I should eventually clean my AR... I've put 750 rounds of wolf through it since I got it... I dropped a little oil on the bolt before shooting it, but that's it so far :mamoru: