Good PS2 RPGs?

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by gum111, Jul 5, 2009.

1. gum111

gum111 New Member

Looking for some good fun PS2 RPG's so far I've played/beat ar tolenco 1 and 2 and a bunch of others that are just like it but different chars/story i forget the name though

2. Strife

Strife Active Member

Star Ocean
    Persona 3&4
    Digital Devil Saga 1&2
    Final Fantasy's
    Xenosaga
    SMT: Nocturne
    Shadow Hearts
    Tales of the Abyss

just go to IGN and play anything over 8.0 rating if you like RPG's.
    There's some good ones in the 7.0 range even.

3. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

the ps2 has a shit load of rpg's and is part of the reason why they won that gen's console war.

kingdom hearts is pretty cool even though its disney...the story line is pretty badass and the fighting system is pretty cool too.

shadow of the colossus
    ico
    okami
    radiata stories isnt that bad
    final fantasy X and XII
    etc etc

theres plenty of them :coold:

4. Tikiman

Tikiman The Internet has left me in despair.

There are a ton. The PS2 is still my favorite system simply because of all the good RPGs on it.

Some more Strife did not list:
    Dragon Warrior VIII
    Suikoden III and V (IV was so-so)
    Disgaea
    Kingdom Hearts
    Rogue Galaxy
    Valkyrie Profile 2
    Odin Sphere

5. Strife

Strife Active Member

Yep these are all good, also, I have all of them :o

I'm working through my old PS1 backlog right now :rofl:

Dragon Warrior 7 right now, then got like 4 more for PSX, and like 10 on the PS2... :o
    I still have an unopened FFXII:CE I bought on the first day :rofl:
    Never have enough time to play games.

But there's actually some awesome RPG's for PS1 if you don't care about graphics. Vagrant Story, Dragon Warrior 7, Xenogears, FF7, Alundra, Star Ocean 2nd Story, and Lunar are all hard to beat on any system.

That's mainly why I love my 60GB PS3, all games on one system and virtual memory cards :bowdown: I only have 2 PS3 games and like 30 PS1/PS2 games :o

6. Los

Los Active Member

FFXIIIIIIIIMCIV

7. Tikiman

Same here, Been replaying all my old RPGs. Already beat Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Suikoden 1 and 2 and am now just about finished with Dragon Quest VIII (for some reason I never played it before) and next up is FF VIII. I lost my copies of both FF VII and Xenogears when I moved and hate myself for it. I am going to have to buy it off of PSN at some point. I really hope they release Xenogears on there as well.

I even just downloaded an SNES emulator to play Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG and Breath of Fire II. They just do not make great RPGs like this anymore. I am sick of the whole real time battle crap. I want the old turn based systems back damnit!

8. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Good advice so far, I won't repeat them all because they've already been mentioned...

Kingdom Hearts was really good, the disney characters don't get in the way of it being a truly good story. Kingdom Hearts 2 looks absolutely fucking awesome, but I've yet to get around to playing it. Will one day, probably.

9. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Lunar Silver Star Story Complete

hasn't been mentioned yet. I forget if it was a ps1 or ps2 release though, but it's pretty much the exact same it was on the sega saturn/cd w/e it was it came out on.

10. FunkyMunniez

. on KH

when i first saw the game i was very skeptical of it because of hte disney theme but it turned out to be extremely awesome :cool:

the only thing i cant stand was the little mermaid in the second game. shit was mad annoying...however belle's castle made up for it ten fold :bowdown:

11. Clancer

Clancer New Member

I have Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 and I havent finished 2, but I kinda like 1 better :sad2: Theres definitely a lot more to do in 2, but it seems like its noobed down so much more. The worlds feel shorter and they couldnt get all of the original voice actors for disney characters like they seemed to do in 1. Different Jack Sparrow/Elizabeth/Will Turner voices ftl

But right now Im playing through FFX again. Then I'll finish FF12, then I start Dragon Quest 8 over again since I never finished it, and then I'll finish KH 2

12. FunkyMunniez

1 was definately better than 2, no doubt. i didnt really mind the replacement actors (getting all the originals would cost a freaking fortune and the game would have never made a profit...i mean come on...paying haley joel osmond, the guy who played riku from 7th heaven, the guy who played ansem who was saruman in LotR, Kiera Knightly, Geoffery Rush, Johnny Depp etc etc. it just couldnt happen for a video game) but some of the worlds just felt like a weaker experience than they did in the first. still a great game though and im looking forward to the next one.

13. clutchLT

clutchLT OT Supporter

i never beat vagrant story, that game is hard as fuck maybe its cause i didnt understand everything for it.... ill definitely try to beat it in the future.. hoping it comes to PSN for download.

14. Tikiman

Really? I liked 2 more then 1. It had a deeper story and a much better combat system. I really liked the 2nd half of the game with all the Organization members boss fights and you got Auron as a teammate! They are both great though and are two games I go back and replay probably one a year. I cannot wait for the DS and PSP spinoffs and I hear they are finally working on KH3. :bowdown: :bowdown:

15. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

i started FF12 a while back, guess a month or two.

i think I put 12 hours into it. in some big city and I need to go to some place i've never been yet. i'm bored with the game though, i'm barely a part of the combat at all. I go into a room full of monsters or a boss, and I just go get a drink in the kitchen, smoke a cigarrete, come back and hopefully i'm at a cutscene.

Yeah, but Kingdom Hearts was awesome. The keyblade I never got over, I still think it's kinda dumb he can even hurt anyone with most of them, stupid looking b.s. but it's not near as bad as the gunsword thing in ff8 :rofl: . I played the one for GBA too but it just didn't feel right, and I got lost and gave up.

16. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I tried playing vagrant story not long ago, I've been trying to find this wierd game for ages and I thought it was it, but I don't think it is.

Anyway, I think I kept getting owned by the first boss, even though I leveled a bunch I couldn't beat him...so I gave up :o

The game i've been looking for is 3D but only just, it's really blocky characters with solid colors for clothes and stuff, kinda like ff7's one color for clothes kinda deal. It had vibrant greens for fields and it had some caves...and it had some crystals or gems or something you had to collect, and you could add elements and stuff you found to your armor.

I don't remember much of it, only a faint vision, a faint memory.

17. Jonathan77

Jonathan77 Dreamer, Nostalgic with the state of mind

Dark Cloud 1 & 2

18. Barkode

Barkode Active Member

Star Ocean for gameplay

Xenosaga 1 & 3 for story. :coold:

19. zackflavored

zackflavored KingShit's Post #55!

Im surprised Odin Sphere isn't on here more.

20. beans

beans New Member

i enjoyed dragon quest 8

21. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Final Fantasy X was the bomb in 2001

22. FunkyMunniez

Yea...there were things about the game that were just overall better than the first like the battle system and the organization...but then you had the

****CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS****

reappearance of malefacent and she quite honestly was completely pointless to bring back. Iirc the only thing she did was stop the heartless onslaught at the end of the game. Also, some of the worlds like pirates of the caribbean, atlantis, and haloween town just felt like they werent really cared for during development. The first time I went through those two worlds I was like "this is ok...not as good as it could be..." then the second run through I just sat there and thought "this shit sucks, they could have made it much better." then you spend the first half of the game still fighting the heartless and wondering when you were going to see the organization, especially if you played chain of memories.

I could go on but i'm reaching the tl;dr point :mamoru:

23. FunkyMunniez

:rofl:

some of them looked like legit blades but the rest of them looked like wicked bludgeoning tools.

also, to be perfectly honest, chain of memories on the gba was pointless to buy and i regret it. it played nothing like the first game and only served as something of a bridge story to the second. literally this was the game:

**POSSIBLE SPOILERS...but you probably wont ever buy chain of memories so it doesnt matter.

Sora and Riku walk down the winding road that they're seen on at the very end of the first kingdom hearts and take a fork that leads them to castle oblivion. Inside they meet the Organization XIII because apparently this is their hideout. Riku travels through the basement portion while Sora travels through the main floors. Sora's story still goes along looking for Kairi, but he is losing his memories and is having them replaced with new ones because the Organization has control of Kairi's nobody, Namine. She has the ability to alter peoples thoughts and memories and rearrange them in a chain that she sees fit. Sora then believes he's been searching for Namine the whole time, not Kairi and begins to forget all about his home, etc etc. He eventually fights through and kills a few Organization members (which is why they don't appear in the second game) and finds Namine, who breaks down and decides to restore his memories at the cost of time. So Sora, Donald, and Goofy stay wrapped in those Coocoons until Roxas finds them in KH2. Riku's story is essentially the same, but goes more along the lines of him coming to grips with the darkness that he can't escape. Instead of running from it, he eventually decides to embrace it and take hold of its power to use for his own purposes. He uses the darkness to kill several organization members himself. His story wasn't all the exciting.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  24. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

:cool: Summary of the game. No spoilers, because I agree, you just don't want to play the game I don't care how much of an rpg nut you are...it has great graphics for the gba no doubt but...sigh...

I honestly didn't know wtf I was doing the whole time, I don't remember picking cards from a stack to choose my attacks in KH1 either, and that was really gay.

Sora's a bad-ass, and I love how he has no idea he's so awesome in the first game.

[y]75PYwZCQmCg[/y]

Move over Cloud, I think you've met your match.

25. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

this thread is making me want to go buy another ps2 (mines a piece of shit, I tried the white gear thing and it didn't work this time, it's just a pos) and get KH1 and KH2.

It was a seriously awesome game. I do remember though that Maleficious was hard as fucking fuck, it took me a few months of repeated tries to kill her. Not hardcore months of day-after-day tries, I mean like I got pissed off because I couldn't beat her put the game down for a while and tried again :o