Good pre-workout snacks?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by InSaNiUm, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InSaNiUm

InSaNiUm Number one in the 'hood, G.

I've been lifting in the evenings lately and I'm generally very lethargic at the end of the day, which makes for garbage workouts. Any advice on a good bar or snack that'll give me some energy for about 2 hours in the gym? TIA

2. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

fruit + sugar free redbull :dunno:

works for me

3. SY85

SY85 New Member

anything with some protein and carbs

4. camber

camber Active Member

sugar free red bull

5. InSaNiUm

Awesome! I'll try that next time. Just out of curiosity, why sugar free?

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:dunno: i work on my feet all day, often lifting a lot of stuff at work, and I get between 7 hours of sleep if i'm lucky... The second I start lifting I feel as awake and alert as can be... and i lift usually around 8-830pm (wake up at 7:20am)

Are you lifting, or just running/cardio? If you do both, try lifting first... maybe it'll boost your energy? :dunno:

As for snacks... I don't think what you eat will make an instant impact on lethargy (unless you're talking stimulants like caffeine)... Food takes a while to absorb, I'd look at the overall picture and maybe increase your complex carb intake throughout the day (i'm a nutrition retard so don't necessarily take this as truth, just a suggestion). Just make sure you have some kind of food in your stomach and you should be good to go.

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

btw why do your workouts take you 2 hours?

8. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

i eat a marie calenders pot pie like 1hr before i goto the gym. 1200 cals ftw.

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I had curry chicken, potatoes, and brown rice earlier.... then I had diarrhea immediately after (not from that meal obviously), and then I went to the gym and DL'd among other things...

Fuck excuses... a burning asshole won't stop me on my pull day god damn it.

Now I want a pot pie.

Useless post.

10. InSaNiUm

Well, you might be on to something, Skeletor. I should probably start looking at my overall daily intake. My hours aren't as bad as yours and I'm still pretty young so I shouldn't be dying like this. I generally do get a boost of energy when I first start lifting (I do cardio separately) but it drops off way before I've gotten a good session in.

I'm usually there for two hours because I'm doing a full body 3-4 days a week routine, and going with a friend so everything takes twice as long.

11. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

i usually have milk + 2 scoops whey + banana and that gets me through my workouts just fine.

12. Mike McDermott

Mike McDermott It's evolution, baby. OT Supporter

whey + gatorade

13. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Try to cut your workouts down (in terms of overall time per session) and keep going at a steady pace. You don't want to wait too long between sets and you also don't want to wait too long between exercises, you want to keep your muscles going.

If your workout partner/friend is slowing you down then start working out seperately, chat less, use seperate equipment so you don't have to go waiting for htem to finish a set or switch weights around etc.

It sucks, i've worked out with friends and felt really bad that we hardly talked the whole time... but the times we've gone as a social thing, my workouts sucked and it took way too long to get the smallest amount of work done, and several other problems that just made the overall routine ineffective. Try to alter your gym behavior to focus on the routine, and try to get a solid 35-60 minute full body workout. That's how long it takes most guys on here who do full body.

If this isn't the case, and you aren't being slowed by your partner, then your routine might have too many exercises in it.

14. Mike McDermott

actually, sip this during your workout

15. InSaNiUm

Skeletor: Yeah there's definitely plenty of chatting/ogling girls in between sets. I'll bring it up though, and try to get the sessions down to an hour. I'll try some sugar free redbull too.

lawrencel: I'm lactose intolerant, if I have milk I'm gonna kill everyone at the gym with my farts. Also, I've always heard you're supposed to take protein after lifting. Is that wrong?

McDermott: I usually have a gatorade during workout. Are you saying skip the whole whey+gatorade combo?

16. Mike McDermott

mix some protein with the gatorade (around a 2:1 carb to protein ratio) i like orange gatorade + vanilla protein. drink that during your training session, and drink another one after. (i like closer to a 1:1 ratio for post-workout).

or you can just get some sucrose or dextrose to mix with whey.

17. Mike McDermott

there's nothing wrong with long workouts, assuming you aren't wasting time (although it sounds like you are :o )

18. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

you really think so? I'm still a noob... but if he's doing full body then he's only getting 48 hours of recovery between work outs if he's working 3x/week... if you're working each muscle pretty extensively (which is what must be going on for a 2 hour workout) then 48 hours might not be enough recovery...

i'm out of my bounds here but just what i've heard from so many people dictates that this is just a little out of whack.

19. erok81

erok81 All your canyons are belong to me!!

A couple Pop Tarts are what I usually have.

20. Mike McDermott

Well, he said he's chatting and ogling girls, so he can probably condense it.

The whole "keep training sessions under and hour" thing is misguided and overblown IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.