Good Porsche 944 sites?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Abraxis, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Getting interested in '86 944 turbo's (aka 951, IIRC). Need to find a good club/forum/FAQ/buyers guide on these things and start reading up. I found one at flat-6.net, Rennlist and Pelican Parts, but I haven't found a really "definitive" and super active forum so far.

Any good sites not turning up on Google? Any owners here?

2. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

It'll be a long while before I buy, so I'm not there yet, but I want to be prepared. The prices on these things are just right for having a fun car on the side--and the performance is there too. Supposedly the cheapest Porsche to deal with (I hope). Always loved these things when they were new. :cool:

If only I could right now...
    [​IMG]

3. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

4. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Found that one last night, good reading. I think the forums I found are the main one's from what I can tell. Also found a webpage called Clarks-garage that has a lot of good info on it. Also a good hub for links etc at http://www.weissach.net/ that listed most of the one's I'd found, but a little more too.

Looks like the turbo is a little faster than I expected, around a 6 sec 0-60. Also seems that it won't be too hard to find a decent mileage, all original car. :bigthumb:
    That one I posted was about $7500 with the mileage I have in mind, 70-100k.

5. suckmyexhaust

suckmyexhaust New Member

check out 6speedonline.com

there is a forum dedicated to the 944/951 and I friend of my races his professionally.

6. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

i believe the turbo is a 5.5 0-60 which is very good for a old 4 cylinder

7. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Pretty good for a new 4 banger too, but the fact that it's almost 20 years old just adds to the fun. :cool:

8. PcarFan

PcarFan Guest

rennlist and pelicanparts are the best ones..i used to have a 944..now i have a polar silver 968

9. Ice Rado

Ice Rado New Member

10. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Any pointers from those of you that have or had one?
    Not looking for a turbo S, that'll just run the price up. This won't be a track car. I want it pristine and plan to keep it that way. Still, I want the turbo at least.

I've been reading that these can be reliable, high mileage cars. Is that your impression too? I want one under 100k, but plan to keep it a long time if/when I get one, splitting daily driver duty with the Super Coupe.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  11. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

i believe after a certain time the turbo s became the standard turbo and the s was dropped from the name

12. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Thanks for the info. How can you tell on an '86 if it has LSD, as in, not physically at the car? Is there a key number in the VIN or tag on the diff or something like that?

Are interior detail parts still being manufactured? As in arm rest, shifter boot, little things like that you might want to freshen up the interior. Got a pic of your car? Sounds nice. :cool:

13. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cyrus,

are you on rennlist?

14. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

just curious, how does one measure a time-to-speed figure like that? ;) btw have you ran the car down a 1/4 mile track, both before and after mods? because after all. 0-60 doesn't really mean anything and even if it did, i dont see how you've come up with a figure for it

15. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

0-60 is more important than quarter mile, IMO. I do a lot more zips to 60, daily, than driving balls out for exactly 1320 ft and then letting off. :rofl:
    Couldn't care less about quarter mile figures, it just doesn't apply to most driving styles. Especially for a sports car.

I would like to know about the 70-100 mph time. I've read some impressive things about these cars in that range. Sounds like a blast for interstate driving. :cool:

16. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

LOL the guy who says that is the guy who doesn't know WHY the difference is important. it's not about

so, what, do you do multiple zips to exactly 60 and then let off? ;) . its about using the better test to indicate the car's power. first of all, an 0-60 mile time used to indicate how "fast" a car is can be skewed or manipulated simply by gearing. i.e. 2 cars that have similar 0-60 times can have vastly different 1/4 mile times just because one car shifted into 3rd before 60, lengthening the time to actually get to 60 because of the extra shift. that same car could pass through the traps a few tenths faster because the car is, well, faster.

without writing a book, that's just one example of why a 1/4 ET and Trap is a better indication of power than an 0-60 run. not to mention i doubt anyone common has any kind of equipment to actually record an accurate 0-60 test anyhow lol

17. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Yes, I do let off at 60 or so. That's every day driving. I don't run it up to 80 or more. Plus, a quick car, even due to great gearing is more fun since you don't HAVE to floor it and run hard out for a quarter mile or more to enjoy it. That's why sports cars are fun.

18. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

you are completely missing the point. the point is determining which test is the better measure of a car's power and acceleration, not the way in which you drive it every day. it's kind of like if you said "well i think slalom is a better measuring stick for handling prowess than the skidpad because i don't drive in a 200ft circle all day long
    :)

19. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I see where you're coming from.
    Best to know both, but quarter mile is easier to gauge.