Good Pad/Polish Kit?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by RedWings, Apr 8, 2009.

1. RedWings

RedWings New Member

Looking at picking up a PC, G110, or Flex 3401. Still can't decide since i'd only be using this on my car and my GF's car that are both fairly new and the paint only has minor swirls. Probably would only use it a few times a year so not sure the cost of the flex is worth it. Suggestions?

Either way, I was looking to pick up the below kit:

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-kit.html

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

that's a good kit.

3. Untow Bo

Untow Bo New Member

The kits looks good.

Not sure I'd rec a Flex for a novice. They have a lot of torque and can be challenging to handle when used at high speeds. The PC/G110 is a much easier to use machine, shorter learning curve. You'll probably get excellent results with one. As your skills improve, maybe step up to a Flex.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Good kit, I agree with the others, the PC/G110 are probably best for your cars. The G110 has a little more power than the PC (although a new PC is supposed to be out soon that has a 4.5 amp motor, which is more powerful than the original 3.7 amp and the G110's 4.2 amp). Not sure when it will be on the market or the cost. The PC is a more reliable unit.

5. RedWings

RedWings New Member

Thanks for the info.

Another question I have is how do you know when the polish is broken down? I don't have a garage and i'll be working on a white car....so the lighting environment won't be very ideal. I want to make sure I avoid hazing or messing anything up.

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i've found that OPT products are fairly idoit-proof, and very user friendly. I've used quite a few products, not as many as some ppl here, and found OPT stuff is just really, really easy. Scott has posted a vid here about breaking down polish that was really good, but I don't recall where it is. Try a search or he may post a link.

7. [dRu]

[dRu] Active Member

I know this might seem like a stupid question, but should we only be using the polishers in a shaded area? I'm looking at picking up a G110 here in a few weeks and I just want to make sure I do this correctly :hs:

8. Scottwax

You can use Optimum products in the full sun. I prefer to polish in the sun, heats the paint so it is fully expanded (less chance of oils in polishes hiding defects) and you can see your progress clearly.

9. [dRu]

[dRu] Active Member

You were saying that you wouldn't use the Maguiar's products in the full sun though, right? Is there a reason why?

10. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

+1 for that
    I've found their products tend to dry out in direct sun more so that other stuff. I guess they don't put as much of whatever solvent in it.

11. Scottwax

#105 works okay in the sun, most other Meguiars products have a nasty habit of trying to weld themselves to the paint when buffing in the sun on hot paint.