good or bad deal?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Blackman, May 4, 2005.

1. Blackman

Blackman Ford > Holden

i just bought a motorbike from the bloke across the road, its a 175 2 stroke yamaha, not sure what year, i only just bought it like 30min ago, it needs a bit of work to get it going the engine needs new bearings and piston rings, the rest of the bike is pretty good just cosmetic work, its dark so i cant relly get any good pics or really see anything on the bike but i tried to get some pics, do you recon i got a good deal for $50

if its gonna cost too much to get it going i can just sell the forks, wheels, and parts off and get my money back at least

what do you guys recon?

PHOT0042 (Small).JPG
    PHOT0043 (Small).JPG
    PHOT0044 (Small).JPG

2. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Looks like you bought someone else's headache...

Good luck with that.

3. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Looks like the motor is pretty worked. If the frame and suspension are in good shape I'd look for a good used motor on ebay. Those ITs are fun bikes.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

:ughwerd:

5. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

A - $50 (Price you paid for the bike)

+

B - Cost of all the work/parts it will need

=

C

D = Blue book of bike in good running condition

If D is less than C, then no, you got fucked.

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Around here at least one of those bikes in good shape will sell for $800. They bluebook @ something like $2-300.

And actually it may be better off than it looks. Thats assuming its only missing that side case cover. The other side is the clutch and if that side is open then youre in trouble. The flywheel side will just need to be cleaned out most likely.

7. Blackman

Blackman Ford > Holden

the only thing missing on the bike is the magneto cover and clutch cable, everything else is on there, it has a spark, has fuel and it has air but it just wont start

8. Blackman

Blackman Ford > Holden

also it was made in the 80's ive been told its a DT

9. Murray

Murray Humbug OT Supporter

dude, it's $50.... If you realize its gonna cost too much to get it goin, part it out and get your money back.... If not, it's really not a loss worth worrying about. Good luck with it, hope it turns out for the best.

10. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Probably just needs a good carb cleaning and a new spark plug. Watch ebay for a new magneto cover.

Yea the DTs and ITs were pretty similar. I think the DT was the dual sport version.

11. Blackman

Blackman Ford > Holden

i got it firing today, i cleaned out the fuel switch and made sure it had fuel and gave it a few good kicks and it almost ran for a while but it had a few leaks, it neads new gaskets around the engine, it still needs piston rings to get it running properly.

ive decided to just put new rings in it and just ride it until it blows up or something because i dont have the money to get the big ends pressed off and new big ends pressed on, and if they have gone to badly its gonna need a new crank and all new internals, i would be better off just getting a new bike.

and even after it blows up i could still sell the parts for over $100 so i should be right

12. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Very rarely does the crank need to be rebuilt unless it grenaded. A good friend of mine says he has something like 4 or 5 thousand miles on his KTM 300MXC all on the original crank.

Just drop a new piston and rings in it and ride it.