GUN Good news for Texans

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by idleprocess, Oct 25, 2007.

1. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2007-10-25/news/have-gun-will-travel/

This is good news. I hear that some jurisdictions have a history of arresting damn-near anyone in posession of a handgun without a CHL in spite of numerous tweaks to the law over the years by the legislature to prevent such nonsense harassment of law-abiding citizens. Maybe Texas will move more towards an open-carry state - or better yet, Vermont carry.

Cliffs: Texas' "traveling" rule allowing for concealed carry while travelling in an automobile has been expanded to include movement to and from your vehicle and places the burden of proof on the state to prove that someone was not travelling. Castle Doctrine has also been expanded and civil liability has been reduced in the event of a legal shoot.

2. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

wish i still lived in texas

it will always be my home state

3. Dr. Fuckface

Dr. Fuckface Wheelguns: when it absolutely, positively has to g

about the "rules": i don't know how it works in texas, but here in georgia, business owners cannot make rules that supercede/supplant state law. For example, even with a license to carry concealed, one cannot carry into a church, dining establishment that serves alcohol, and a few other scenarios. However, it is perfectly legal to carry into an establishment, say a movie theater, even if there is a sign posted saying that they do not allow guns. In the event that you are found to be legally carrying on the premises, they may ask you to leave and cite you with trespassing if you refuse, but they have no right to levy any gun-related charge upon you, despite their signs/rules.

4. idleprocess

In Texas, there's the aptly-named section 30.06 signage that makes entry onto properly-marked premises "Criminal trespassing." I've seen almost zero places with such signage.

Shortly after CHLs started being issued, damn-near every retail/foodservice -type business adopted a standard sign with a "no handguns" symbol and tiny text indicating that posession of a concealed handgun without a license was not permitted ... as if that sign changed anything.

5. t1h

t1h Guest

sounds like cops were abusing the law and the legislature fixed the problem

6. t1h

t1h Guest

:mamoru: just open carry it into the store then. in my state tho the sign has be worded a certain way and readable from atleast 10 ft away. so a sign in 8pt font saying "no concealed handguns" isn't valid

7. Dr. Fuckface

Dr. Fuckface Wheelguns: when it absolutely, positively has to g

did it mention anything with a license?

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

yup. sounds like they were arresting anyone they could to get evil guns off the street and now it's bitten them in the ass. Poor cops have to prove someone was doing something wrong now :(

You can conceal your weapon to and from your car into your house - doesn't sound all that abusable to me :dunno:

9. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

I've heard numerous departments have already stated they dont really plan on paying any attention to this law.

Also, no one realy knows for sure what happens when you use said firearm in self defense. One of the clauses in the new law is the weapon cannot be visible. So you pull the gun on some crazed road rager who is bashing your car with a crow bar, all the sudden you have an unlawful carrying of a weapon charge put on you....?

10. Willie J

Willie J New Member

my mother works in the Texas Attorney General office and I heard about this back in 2005 when Greg Abbot(Attorney General) first decided to ignore this law and arrest everyone in Harris county with a handgun in their car, if they didnt have a CHL. Harris county officers are instructed to arrest and let the courts sort it out. I would be extra careful, becuz this is a hazy law

11. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

In New Mexico our vehicles have always been considered extended domain, so even before CCW permits, you could conceal in your own vehicle.

Now that we have CCW permits, businesses are allowed to choose if they want handguns on their property or not, they have to post a sign with certain dimensions with the state code and text. I believe wal-mart was the only business to do this, which is disgusting when you think of their roots, and right after the CCW law passed a 70 year old man, the 14th person to have a permit issued to him was in wal-mart carrying (albeit illegally, technically) and a man attacked his wife/girlfriend and began stabbing her. The 70 year old man jumped the counter and pumped his face with a hand gun seven or eight times. Now I believe there is only one wal-mart that still has the sign up, and the man did not receive any disciplinary actions.

12. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I still like that with a CHL, it has reciprocity in other states though. I'm still glad I went through and got mine.

13. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

That was the first revision of the law, and that was the whole point of THIS revision. It clarifies it entirely.

And FUCK GREG ABBOT IN HIS LOOSE ASSHOLE. I hate that fucking prick, and wouldn't mind if his car decided to burst into flames and wrap itself around a tree.

Also, go texas.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  14. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Doubtful that will happen, since you are legally allowed to shoot to defend yourself in that situation... I have my CHL and I encourage everyone I know to get theirs as well, so it won't be an issue for me.

15. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

I can think of quite a few, since the revision 2 or 3 years ago that made it legal to carry in to Amusement parks, places of public gathering, churches and courthouses (but NOT court rooms). These places are now required to post 30.06 if they don't want you to carry there. The Harris County Courthouse has them, and sports stadiums too..

Also, the Katy Mills mall, I hate those fuckers. First off, if a security guard see you get to the door, see the sign, and turn around and go back to your car, they are instructed to ask you to leave the property... Funny thing is their sign isn't even legal, because it's not posted AT EVERY ENTRANCE. The bass pro shops entrance doesn't have the 30.06 sign posted.

16. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

I have zero doubts it'll happen. We've gotten cases in where people were charged with unlawful possession of firearm when being used in self defense matters from their vehicle.

Granted the matters either get dismissed or whatever, but you;re still out attorneys fees, time, etc. And no matter what the law says, one still has to be careful with their actions and hope deputy dog sees your situation from your side.

17. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

They're complaining that they're letting drug dealers with Glocks under their seats go free. Hmm, if all they've got on someone is the ownership of a firearm, their case sounds kind of weak. Why not bust them on DRUG DEALING charges?

Drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The law states that you cannot be involved in any criminal activity. Guess what, there's your arrest. You arrest them for the CRIMINAL ACTIVITY. Owning a firearm is not a criminal activity.

18. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

I don't know man, to me this law looks pretty clear now... If people start getting arrested I can see law suits for wrongful arrest here.

19. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

You;d think so, but LEOs are fucking dicks when it comes to guns. That whole in view clause makes it pretty hazy to me on what one can and cant do.

Like said, may as well get the CHL.

20. idleprocess

No open carry in Texas.

21. idleprocess

No. Almost never seen the specific signage required to prohibit licensed carry.

22. DaninTexas

DaninTexas OT Supporter

Seriously WTF is up with that. I always wondered.

Ah well

23. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Yeah... but if you're drawing to use it, you now fall under a different part of the law, because you're no longer transporting it...

24. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

So if you're not transporting it at the time. Are you unlawfully possessing a weapon now that your pistol would be in plain view and you're an unlicensed holder "carrying" it?

25. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Not if you're using it in self defense. I think you're being pessimistic and slightly ridiculous at this point