GUN good news/bad news

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bpa00, May 13, 2009.

1. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

So I FINALLY got my CCL permit from the great state of Kansas after waiting 60+ days. :h5:

Unfortunately, I was laid off about a month ago, and just can't find a decent job for anything... which means I can't afford to buy the new carry gun that I had planned on purchasing... or the holster to go with it... or afford to buy inflated ammo to go shooting... or much of anything else... the $400/week unemployment is a far cry from the $1400/week I was making... :(

2. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

I thought people got $250 a week for unemployment? Maybe it's just an AZ thing?

3. attomica

attomica Active Member

Shit, with $1400/week, you could've easily set some aside for the possibility of a lay-off.

No sympathy from me.

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

qft kansas city can't be that expensive to not let you put a good chunk of that away :big grin:

5. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

$1400 a week is a shit load of money for me, but i'm a single young dude.

Hope you didn't blow all that money on toys.

6. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Wedding poor FTL... Normally I would have at least 6 months worth of living expenses stored away... but I am getting married next month and it has really emptied out my bank account (more than I ever imagined). They were nice enough to lay me off only about a week after I finally finished paying off all the wedding/honeymoon related stuff.

My plan was to buy myself a nice G26 as an early wedding present once my permit arrived... but now I gots to wait... :(

7. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

$1400/week GROSS btw... which is about $900 net per week after taxes... That is only a little over $70k per year which isn't THAT much... I don't even think Obama would consider me to be a rich guy with that.

Speaking of Big O... Despite not liking the guy and thinking he wants to piss all over the constitution... I have to give him props for making COBRA MUCH more affordable...

8. johnson

johnson New Member

:rofl: at $70k isnt THAT much.

9. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

It isn't :dunno:

10. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

and :bowrofl: at spending all your savings on a wedding

your fiancee is a moron and so are you

11. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

gun show in august in overland park, or you can go to pawn shops and usually find a decent used gun for an affordable price.

also if you hit every walmart by phone and race to the first one that has ammo in stock it isn't too bad for practice rounds.

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

70k a year may or may not be alot in kansas depending on WHERE in kansas he lives. if he lives in the sticks it's a ton of money or if he lives in the hood in KC etc.

If he lives in a nice suburb, 70k isn't that much and a mortgage can eat it up pretty quick.

cost of living here in kansas isn't anything in comparison to san fransisco and places like that but we do have some areas that aren't too cheap.

although affordable housing is definately available depending on where you are willing to live.

and wow way to pile on the poor guy, he's sure not the only person out of work these days losing a decent job is bad enough without everyone beating you up on the internets about it lol

13. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

agreed. Should make your and her parents blow money for the wedding, and spend all your money on the MARRIAGE.
    Wedding is here and gone in the blink of an eye.

14. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

If you have to spend all the cash you have to have a wedding, you should just go to the court house and be done with it.

If your woman si too much of a princess to realize this, you should move on.

15. AB13

AB13 New Member

It depends on where you live, and your spending habits. My wife makes over 70k a year, and when I worked for Microsoft I made more than that. We aren't exactly eating caviar every night.

Mortgage, daycare, Kid and now my new business expense ($3200+ /month) Shit goes fast.

Good luck on landing a better job, it's out there. Tighten down, pay with cash and learn to cook.

16. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Your wife is a dumb whore and you're equally as much a fucking retard.

17. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Some people are just douche bags... It is easy to hate on someone else until it happens to you. I've worked for 16 years now and NEVER lost a job. Thus, taking a good chunk out of my reserve to fund a once in a life time occasion didn't seem like a big deal to me. It isn't like I spent all my $$ on the wedding anyway. I'm still good to go for a few months, I just can't be blowing $$ on things that aren't absolutely necessary.

Doesn't really bother me anyway. I didn't really come into the WMD looking for sympathy... Just to brag about finally getting my CCL, and bitch about not being able to responsibly purchase the toy I really really want right now.

I live in Johnson County Kansas btw... not exactly the most affordable area in KC to live...

18. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

$400/wk is all I make, and that's not on unemployment. Count your blessings friend.

19. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

yep, i'm in overland park myself. We don't have the crazy housing costs that certain areas do but people think of kansas and figure houses are 40k or something. too bad that in Johnson county 40k buys you a shed lol.

hell, i just wish there were better choices for shooting ranges around here. I hate the bullet hole, they over price the ammo so there is no way a sane person whould buy from them and their range fees are pretty high in my opinion. $19 for me and my wife to use 1 stall, that shit is crazy. It's not like it's a fancy place, it's a little dive of a gun club. oh well now i'm just ranting lol.

hopefully you'll be back on your feet before the gun show comes to OP and you can pick up a gun or 2 there (i've been lucky and gotten some good buys from private individuals at the gun shows in the past, i typically don't buy much at any of the booths etc, i scout out people inside or in the parking lot who are looking to sell or trade their guns). cabellas and bass pro shops can kiss my ass lol

and congrats on the ccl

20. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

Yeah, I make $400 a week and I live in Silicon Valley...kind of sucks.

21. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Damn, I thought I had it bad... it's mad expensive out there. Not that it's cheap here, but it ain't that bad.

22. stapleremover

stapleremover New Member

all the hate :rofl:

23. attomica

attomica Active Member

Get out of WMD with this shit. This isn't the Main.

24. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

I am glad I had a cheap wedding. The next day it doesn't matter whether you spent $500 or $50,000. My wedding was very low key and it was more about my friends and family being around. Not having a bunch of expensive clothes, flowers, reception hall, and mediocre dinner.

With that being said your unemployment should be more than $400/wk if you made $1400/wk. In MN you'd max out at the ~$545/wk plus get the extra $25/wk in Obama bucks.

25. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Now that you mention it... It's actually around $425 thanks to the extra Obama bucks... Unemployment is a state thing...

Oh well... hopefully something will come along soon. There are decent jobs out there, and I've already interviewed for a few... but there is just a lot of damn competition right now.