WEB Good .net MVC Framework?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jdog12, Dec 21, 2008.

1. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

Any good recommendations for an MVC .Net framework? I'm gonna try and build a small database driven site and would like some input.

I've got a little bit of experience with ASP.Net (using C# and web forms) and ado.net and nhibernate for my data access. I have used a custom framework for a senior class project that we were building on (only thing I really remember is we used NVelocity for our view)

I've read a bit in to the following, but I'm still kind of lost and would like some input or alternative suggestions:
    MonoRail
    MS ASP.NET MVC Framework
    Maverick.NET

Thanks

2. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

I've used MonoRail and ASP.NET MVC a lot.

I was on MonoRail for just over a year, and for the last few months I've been writing a new CMS in ASP.NET MVC.

MonoRail is more mature than MVC obviously, but I've decided to hedge my bet with ASP.NET MVC as it seems to progress a little faster and it won't be long before it gets a massive community.

I'm pretty sure most of the MonoRail community will migrate to ASP.NET MVC and simple contribute to that (already there are lots of things from MonoRail in the MVC.Contrib library).

The worst thing about MVC is that it's not as open as MonoRail is. You can't get the code for all of the assemblies (such as System.Web.Routing, and they may never release that code so you have to decompile). I'm not sure what their policy is on patches, and you can't view the MVC trunk; they simply release a tag of the source and push it to CodePlex (which took a long time after Beta 1, when I prefer to build myself).

You can use various view engines for MVC (even NVelocity, and new ones like Spark) and of course the Master Pages / asp* pages (avoiding the horrible ViewState / Server control cluster fuck).

I would highly recommend going with ASP.NET MVC, as it is going to explode and it won't be long before it has all the support and community you could wish for.

For myself I still mix things up too:

IoC container I use MicroKernel/Windsor from Castle Project (MonoRail's umbrella project)
    Data access I use Castle ActiveRecord (on top of NHibernate). Haven't had a chance to look at the Linq extensions to these 2 yet but want to.
    I actually use MySQL, SQLite for my database servers (on Linux)
    Static content delivery from Linux machines
    Application servers Windows but will look into getting it going on Mono too

So yeah ASP.NET MVC, and you can still couple it with a lot of other great things, and the MVC team are big into that anyway (jQuery is officially supported for example).

3. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

Thanks, you're the second person to recommend it to me. I've read about it online a bit and it seems to be a good choice. I might be giving it a go.