Good .NET hosting plan?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dustro, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Dustro

Dustro New Member

I currently have a Dreamhost account but want somewhere to learn and develop .NET C#. The cheaper the better since it will be supplemental to my current plan. IIS is being a PITA and I am tired of trying to fix it on my desktop so that is not an option.:hs:

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's why you don't install IIS on a desktop. Buy a junker off eBay and install Windows Server on it.

3. Dustro

Dustro New Member

i got a 333 celery that im using as my linux box at the moment... it fall barely above the min for 2003 server :| guess I could move my linux stuff over to another lower end system I got.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Eh...as old as that box is, if you were going to make it into a Windows Server, I'd go with 2000. It's less intensive, it has most of the functionality, and it doesn't require activation.

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

nothing wrong with running IIS locally on your box. I've been developing .NET web apps since the 1st framework beta and never had too big of an issue with IIS. I wouldn't go out and buy any new hardware or a hosting plan... building and trying to deploy/debug, deploy/debug is going to be a PITA.

Are you running XP? why don't you try telling us the problem you're having.

6. Dustro

Dustro New Member

ok well although im sure this sounds bad I went ahead and reinstalled IIS to get the message that I was getting (some application error on asp and aspx files, google searches said it was an issue with 5.1 and they didnt know the cause so I tried all the fixes i could find to no resolve) ANNNND then it started working :|

asp works fine aspx though is giving me this :
    XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
    Line Number 1, Column 2:<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default" %>
    -^

----
    it works fine and is coming from a debuged VS2005 project that works fine in the test environment that VS makes, it does a similar error with a plain Response.Write("Test"); file also