Good mid/bass output 5 1/4" speakers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Steef, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Steef

Steef New Member

I have some Alpine 5 1/4" components in my doors and the woofers don't put out nearly enough mids or lows. The tweaters seem to really drown them out with highs unless I turn them down on the EQ, which makes it sound a little muffled and less crisp. Who makes a good speaker that I can expect improved mid and low ranger output?

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

type r?

3. Steef

Steef New Member

They are SPR-13s

4. Steef

Steef New Member

this is all i need to complete my system. someone give me some brands to look into

5. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I have recently looked into 6.5's and the brands I am most intersted in (in no particular order) are Morel, Image Dynamics, and Hertz. Not sure that helps you much but I have read good things about ll of the ones I mentioend and I would imagine they make a pretty good 5.25".

6. Steef

Steef New Member

7. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

You need to deaden the hell out of your doors, build a quality baffle and make sure the entire back/front of the speaker is separated. Do this and even a paper cone stocker will bang out some startling bottom.

Also, more power. My Bostons require more than most, granted, but the midbass didn't level out with them until I had them over 200RMS a side. I did an install fairly recently for a friend with older infinity reference components (6.5" poly + 1" silk dome) and once we did his doors properly the midbass is pretty damn strong on 100rms a side. They sounded just mediocre on 50 and on head power (22W) they sounded bright, harsh and weak.

With 300x2 to my Boston midbass, you literally can't see straight down to around 80hz and they're still very strong at the 63hz cutoff for subs. Even those alpines will pound, play strong and completely wreck your mirrors with midbass if you do your install properly and give them some beans. Do that first, if you aren't happy, then upgrade.

8. Steef

Steef New Member

i have plenty of power going to them. i was thinking of sound deadening though. i'll probably do that before i buy new speakers, since it would be good to have anyway.

9. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Anything less than a TOTAL seal between the front and rear of the cone means nil for bass. Deadening will help a lot itself but the main thing is a proper baffle. Else you're just moving air around without actually making any sound :mamoru:

The better the driver and higher the power, the more need there is for a good baffle and a totally dead door so it needs done first, whether or not you end up upgrading later on.