Good managed switches

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CruD, Nov 5, 2003.

1. CruD

CruD Bah, I'll just hack it

Anyone know of some good managed switches that will let me monitor bandwidth usage of each port and maybe even watch what traffic/packets are going in and out of each one?

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I know from experience that Allied Telesyn and 3com switches both provide good management. Most managed switches will have a "port monitor" feature that will allow you to mirror all data going in and out of one port into another for monitoring purpuses.

You can bet that higer end switches like Cisco and Foundry and going to have the best features, but at a cost.

I picked up a 24port 10/100 Alied Telesyn off ebay for $60. Works great, but is loud like any other comercial greade equipment.

3. CruD

can anyone give me some info on some good managed cisco switches?

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Uhmmm, all of them. :dunno:

We need a little more detail about what you are going to be using it for.

5. CruD

right now we've got

2 - 3com 3c164 65B superstack 3 baseline 10/100 switches
    and
    2 - hp advancestack switching hub-24R 10baseT (hpj3202a)

i didn't put any of those in, the sub contractor did before i got here. I dont know if either have any type of management or anything like i need.

and how many can i use? the way its setup now is all 4 are linked together with crossover cables.

we want to get those 10's outta here

i basically just want to be able to see what ports are using what bandwidth and maybe some other management too

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

If you really want Cisco I would grab some Cisco Catalyst 2950 24-port switches. About $680 each.

You can connect them all with crossover cables for now. Or if you think you are going to be using alot of bandwidth get the 2950T that comes with 2 gigE ports. Then you can get a 6-8 port gigE backbone switch that you can hook the 24 ports to and even a couple servers with gigE cards.