good laptops

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by exxoizzle, Sep 6, 2005.

1. exxoizzle

exxoizzle Free mustache rides

Im going to collage in a year and i need advice on a good laptop that wont "break my bank". Any ideas?

2. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

As far as major companies go I would say IBM makes the best qualitly laptops. Toshiba is decent too. If you dont care about quality you can get a cheap dell, but keep in mind ~25% will have problems.

Personally I would pay the extra money and get an ASUS laptop.

Just to make it easy I would say ASUS > IBM > TOSHIBA > HP > DELL

3. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

I vote for IBM. I'm on a Dell D600 right now and if I press on the keys too hard I worry they might fall off. There is a wireless station broadcasting it's SSID near here. The IBM picks it up with a couple of bars... the Dell has no clue it even exists. The case shell on this Dell is very flimsy. When I pick it up I have to be careful, otherwise, it flexes. Not so, with the IBM T42 and T43 I played with.

My friend argues that Dell > IBM... but I have to completly disagree with him.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

An apple iBook won't break the bank. They start at $999. I'm using one right now. In addition to being a great little workhorse... I've dropped it, while running, from 4-5 feet to concrete/wooden floors three times. Twice it didn't notice. Once I had to reboot. It kept on trucking. Thats quality. No worms. No problems.

http://www.apple.com/ibook/

I'm not trying to convert anyone, but the general opinion is that their notebooks are tops.

5. 01000101

01000101 New Member

ive got an asus z63a and i love it.

check out www.notebookreview.com

lots of good info and very helpful forums