Good KVM switch?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Mar 31, 2004.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I'm looking for a good quality 4 port PS2 KVM switch. My primary concern is trouble-free switching (see below) and PS2 emulation so I can reliably start a PC in the background and have the mouse/keyboard work when I switch to it.

I currently have a Belkin Omni View SE 4 port switch (PS2 ports). I use a Logitech cordless wheel mouse and keyboard with it. Everything works fine until I switch away from my main computer. When I switch back, the scroll wheel on the mouse doesn't work until I reboot. It still works on whatever other computer I'm controlling, just not my main machine. I found a few things about it on Google, but nothing that helped.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Do you have the exact same driver installed on all systems? Because if I understand what you are saying, you don't have this problem on any other computer other than your main one (the wheel not wotking). That tells me there's something different about the computer, or the driver and nothing to do with the switch.

I use Linksys's switch and it works great, although I do not use a wheel mouse since it's only for servers.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I have a Linksys one as well (the 2-port one with the builtin cables). It works great.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

The main computer is WinXP Pro with Logitech mouse drivers/keyboard installed so I can monitor the battery level and see the caps lock/num lock indicators in the system tray. The "second" computer varies. I have a spare computer with multiple removable hard drives with various versions of Windows on it I use for testing stuff or just screwing around with stuff I don't want to mess up the main computer. Sometimes the 2nd computer is someone else's computer I brought home to fix or upgrade. So the drivers on that computer can range from Logitech to Windows default to whoever.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

Is this a combo mouse keyboard? Or a laptop? KVM switches do not like doing double duty on a single PS/2 port.

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Its an older Logitech wireless mouse/keyboard combo. There's a single reciever unit but it has separate PS2 connectors for mouse and keyboard. All computers involved are desktops.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

Hmmm I dunno what to say. I have a feeling another KVM switch is going to do the same thing though. If you can get one at Best Buy and return it if it doesn't fix the problem, I'd go that route.

8. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I have the Omni by Belkin. Works great..

9. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

i've used a bunch of KVMs in my time, and i want to say that you should definately go with a KVM that has both manual (physical button) and automatic (keyboard command) input switching. my company bought a bunch of KVMs w/o the manual switch, and it's a PITA when there are probs with the active computer, and the KVM won't recognize the keyboard switching commands.

10. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

This is driving me nuts. I dicked around with all the settings in the mouse driver and it still does it. Maybe its a Logitech thing more than a Belkin thing. I think I'll get a Microsoft wheel mouse and see what happens.

11. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I got it fixed. I booted up my spare machine running XP and looked in device manager. It using the driver built into Windows and it sees it as a Microsoft PS2 Mouse. So I went back to my main computer and uninstalled the Logitech Mouseware (left the keyboard software installed) and now it works great. I lose the battery level monitor and programmable buttons but I'd rather have the scroll wheel working properly.