GUN Good knife to buy?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by exify, Nov 29, 2008.

1. exify

exify Active Member

I'm looking into buying a knife to carry. I live in NYC, I don't really know the laws here but if any of you do that would help. I think it just cant be bigger than my 4 fingers in length?

I was looking for an automatic opening or maybe spring assist. Mainly due to my thought that if I ever need it for self protection, it would be beneficial to have it open as fast as possible, I also don't really like opening with the thumb thing, too hard imo.

Basically, it will stay closed in my pocket/jacket unless I need it for protection or something.

edit- i dont even know if its legal to carry a knife for protection. let me know if its not.

2. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

kershaw onion is my fave

3. exify

exify Active Member

Apparently, spring loaded, assisted and automatic knives are illegal in NYC. Only foldables that are manual.

I also found this post on some other forum which I agree with:

4. attomica

attomica Active Member

Well, it's a fair bet that a real automatic knife is not legal, but assisted opening is not "automatic" in the eye of the law, so you can probably go that route.

Look here...
    http://www.888knivesrus.com/category/.assistedopeningfolders/

Lots from which to choose. Benchmade is considered by many (including myself) to be the best in production knives. I have several by them. I also like CRKT (Columbia River Knife & Tool). Their knives are more economical, but are well made. I've never had a Kershaw, but a lot of people do and seem to like them. SOG makes a great knife too, but lately their designs are pretty outlandish. Like they're trying to be "edgy," but going too far.

5. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

lol @ air horn

6. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Using a knife for self defense you'd need a little common sense, wether to show it or not and when to actually use it. I hate these internet commandos who assume every poster and person in the world with zero common sense and street smarts, sure it's the majority but there are some of us who aren't dumb.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:rofl:

8. exify

exify Active Member

How's s&w

9. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

there is so much lol in that article it isnt funny.

leave your safety to the NYPD? a fucking airhorn?

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i hope the cocksucker with the B&M in your av isnt you

11. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

Unless you're well-trained, I wouldn't try using a knife for self-defense. It's only good for a scare tactic ... like you could pull it out and a potential criminal would change his mind about giving you a hard time, but how realistic is that scenario? I'd say it's unlikely.

But to use a knife means getting well within hand-to-hand range anyway, and if that's where you are, I'd recommend just ... using your hands. Gouge eyes if you have to in order to protect yourself. Introducing a knife takes things to a deadly level, and it isn't like a firearm where you can point and shoot and end the situation. Very few stab or slash wounds are going to be incapacitating.

I mean, if you know what you're doing with a knife, you could be a real terror with one. But I'm thinking if that were the case, you wouldn't need to ask OT for advice on which to get.

12. exify

exify Active Member

Yea, that part was a little ridiculous. I agreed with the first part though.

I wish it was. Then I would have millions and get to play baseball as a living while fucking models.

Yea, this is why I'm undecided. I don't know if it's that much of a problem though. Where I live, the only people that will try to mug me/etc are teenagers and shit. If I wasn't so skinny and not built (5'11, 135 =/), I could take them with my hands. Half the time I probably can now anyway.

13. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

pulling a knife in most robbery situations is definitely risky.

honestly, i'd suggest carrying fox labs pepper spray...second best thing other than a gun. pepper spray would be effective against a strong arm robbery, multiple subjects, and possibly vs. a subject with a knife. definitely more versatile than a knife.

i personally carry a 2 oz. fox labs stream spray on my belt while working (and most other times for that matter). as an undertaker, i work day and night shifts and a lot of times i have to go in areas where white boys arent welcome, to say the least

go on youtube and search 'fox labs pepper spray', youd be suprised how effective that stuff is

14. exify

exify Active Member

I'm not out of my car in bad neighborhoods that often, but I would still like to have something. Pepper spray or knife or whatever.

15. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Just shit yourself.

16. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Jas0n's MarionBerry: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Sabre Red is a badass pepper spray. You'd be so much better off with that than a knife... just keep in mind that you're going to be bailing here. Spray and get ghost. The spray is meant to impede pursuit, not to disable - it may have little or no effect on some.

Still, way better than a knife. Honestly, pulling a knife on someone intent on robbing you will probably get you killed.

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

just rely on the NYPD, afterall, you agree with that article.

18. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

Get a decent pepper spray, and back it up with something like a keychain baton (a guy at my office has one), then maybe a knife.

But get some training of some kind, regardless. If you don't know how to do it right, you can be increasing your risk of serious injury, death, etc.

Not to say "don't do it," but instead "yes, go for it, and get some instruction on doing it right."

19. exify

exify Active Member

Eat a dick.