Good gaming computer package

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SebNoker, Oct 16, 2008.

1. SebNoker

SebNoker New Member

Whats a good gaming computer set up to buy,,, want a ready package from like dell or hp or someone...

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

x2. You want to open the box and start playing games, buy a PlayStation.

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

it's really tough to justify these pre-built machines as 'good'.
    either you get a cheap shitty machine with sub-par parts or it is waaaaaay overpriced.

example:
    Dell XPS 630
    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DXCWCF1&s=dhs

note Dell's prices on the Corsair Dominators
    [​IMG]

Check out the prices of those Dominators at newegg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ion=Corsair Dominator&name=DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

and that's not just ram. Same thing on hdd, graphics cards, and other components. :ugh2:

my advice if you don't want to build your own,... buy the parts and pay someone else to build it for you. a friend or maybe a local computer shop.
    You can also checkout stores like Microcenter. they sell parts (aftermarket, not OEM) and will build the system.

btw, don't bother with the Inspirons, Pavillions, and such that are under $500. These are not gaming machines. Even if you configure these with a Quad Core (which will bring the price up),.. these machines have shitty cooling, low-wattage PSUs, and shitty motherboards.

4. deusexaethera

Another option is to buy the cheapest machine you can get your hands on, so you get all the pre-packaged software licenses, and then take the money you saved and buy a bunch of hardware upgrades.

5. Spit-wad

Spit-wad New Member

so basically pay for bloatware + an OS?

6. deusexaethera

The bloatware is what reduces the cost of the machine, relative to what a similar custom-built machine + legit software would cost. The best part is, you can just uninstall all that crap if you don't want it.

Dells don't come with nearly as much shit as they used to, or at least the ones my company orders are almost completely clean. All I have to remove are a couple of programs that redirect you to Dell's generous benefactors when you mis-type a URL.

EDIT: I misread what you posted. Yes, you're paying for a barebones machine and a bunch of cheap legit software licenses. Then you can trick it out with a $500 video card and 8GB of RAM later.