MIL Good friend passed away Thursday...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by whitecouch, Jan 26, 2008.

1. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

I was on the same shift as this guy for over three years, we worked together every day. Thursday afternoon he has a heart attack during his PT test and passes away. 23 years old, 4 months older than me, and left behind a young wife and daughter. Why does this stuff have to happen? The guy was in great shape. The AMXS commander cancelled Friday's flying.

Why can't we have PT tests that don't require guys with 36+ inch waists to run to their death to pass? Does a crew chief really need to run an 11 minute mile to hang 180lb cowling? Is there a good reason why we get a 10 minute break after doing push ups and sit ups before we run? PT related deaths are the second highest cause of death among non war related deaths only second to car crashes.

I know this is a bite off of greenpillow's post on the same subject but he was my friend and we knew he had heart problems as did his PCM. I have high blood pressure too and it hits home.

2. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

i'm really sorry about that. there's not much to say except it sucks. i'm sure you will all help out anyway, but just do what you can to help his wife and daughter. they're going through a personal hell right now.

3. whitecouch

I can't even bring myself to call. I don't want cause any more pain than they must be going through. Everyone loved him, he was one of the nicest guys on the flight line and I can only imagine there will be a big showing of support for his wife and daughter.

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Call or go over. It's true that all of their friends will be doing the same thing, but they also need the support from all of their friends. When my son passed away, I shrank away from well-wishers. But I gained strength and encouragement every single time someone would call or come by to offer their condolences. Make it brief, but personal. They need something from you that only his friends can give.

:hugot:

5. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

PT helps maintain certain standards. Sometimes people have conditions that are unknown or they pass for whatever reason. I'm sorry for your loss.

Keep in mind a 36+in waste and 11min mile probably isn't considered in shape but regardless at that age it is far too young to pass away.

6. whitecouch

Actually a 36" waist and a 11 min mile is considered in shape in an APG shop around here.

7. usmcdevil

usmcdevil wouldnt you like to know

an 11 minute mile? i run 3 in 21 mins i have a 34 in waist trying t get back down to 32

8. whitecouch

mile and a half... I'm glad you're in such great health...

9. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Sorry for your loss.

10. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

11 minute mile?

:ugh:

That is pretty damn sad.

11. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

unfortunately that is pretty much walking pace.

12. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Mile and a half. And since he died, I'm guessing he wasn't in perfect health to start with. And you're right. It must have been sad.

13. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Sorry for your loss, but if a person can't maintain a 11 minute mile, they have serious cardio issues.