Good External Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by antiabercrombie, Jan 15, 2008.

1. antiabercrombie

antiabercrombie fuk u lemonardo OT Supporter

I am going to get an external hard drive (around 500 GB) for my PC, and am looking for an easy, "plug in play" type drive, preferably one that doesn't require an AC plug in (if that exists). I want to use it primarily as a back up drive for my music/video files

I'm looking at the Western Digital and Seagate brands, but don't have any experience with either brand.

Any recommendations?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Buy a Vantec NexStar 3 case (in three candy colors!) and a Seagate hard drive, put them together, and be happy. Don't waste money on a prebuilt portable drive in a cheap plastic case.

If you want a portable drive that doesn't need an AC adaptor, you have no choice but to buy a laptop hard drive and one of the smaller external enclosures to go with it. Desktop drives just suck way too much power. That said, laptop hard drives are better for carting around anyway, because they're built to withstand jostling.

3. TankedOutSuicide

TankedOutSuicide These aren't the DJs were looking for...

Seagate all the way....Doen't really matter which casing you get but be sure not to get any kind of cheap branded kind that could possiably fall apart on you. Never buy the pre-built external drives...always a waste of money.

4. antiabercrombie

I don't mind the AC plug in, but do the "build it yourself" options connect via USB?

5. deusexaethera

USB or Firewire or external SATA.

The laptop drives have a special three-ended USB cable that plugs into two ports on the computer to draw enough power to run the drive without an AC adaptor. Though, if you get a laptop hard drive that uses less than .5 amps, you don't even need the special USB cable.

6. antiabercrombie

What is the diff between some of these? They look similar, but the price fluctuates:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...rch-alias=aps&field-keywords=Vantec+NexStar+3

7. deusexaethera

1. 2.5" HDD enclosure, USB connection.
    2. 3.5" HDD enclosure, USB connection, uses IDE drive.
    3. Same as 2, sold by a different company.
    4. 3.5" HDD enclosure, USB connection, uses SATA drive.
    5. Same as 4, different color.

etc.

You should buy your computer supplies from Newegg.com, or at least use them to figure out what you want to buy, because they have excellent search tools and the information you need about each item is very organized.

8. antiabercrombie

Awesome, thanks! :bigthumb: