Good exercises for previously dislocated shoulder?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Contemptor, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

A bit over a year ago now, I was playing some football with some friends. I got slammed in the side (didn't see him) by a guy that was 6'4, and I'm 5'5-5'6 :o I stupidly threw out my arm when I went down sideways, so my palm hit first and the speed I went down pushed up my shoulder at least partially out of the socket, and back in. It was pretty messed up for a while, and I never went to the doctor, but it eventually got better.

However I still hurt it every few months playing basketball or football or something. I hurt it again 2 weeks ago playing football, and tonight it hurt a bit doing bench, and then I did another tricep exercise (don't remember the name... where you lay down on the bench with arms straight up, and put your forearms down backwards with a curlbar) and my shoulder killed too much to do any more of them.

Besides surgery or actual physical therapy... are there any good exercises I could do to build up the muscles around that area to try to prevent it getting rehurt? I do overhead presses and rows and such, but I don't really know if there's anything better I could do.

2. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

there's not really a whole lot you can do. Once it comes out of place it's permanently weaker. I've dislocated mine 5 times since my first time about 3 years ago.

Only thing I can recommend is cuban rotations (basically grab light weight DB's or plates and just rotate at your side), lots of rear delt work to keep the shoulders in balance, and wide pushups

just take it easy and let the recovery process begin

3. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

I assumed as much, I will try that though :hs:

I really thought it had recovered, didn't do crap with it for a few months after I hurt it, but then as soon as I started doing sports again it would get hurt occasionally

4. ralyks

ralyks New Member

External rotation exercises with a cable pulley helped mine alot, but mine were more due to an imbalance than injury. Also, lots of face pulls.

5. inyoeye

inyoeye huh?

you might need surgery. i had it done late this summer beacuse it would dislocate everytime i played basketball.

6. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

Mine's not that bad, yet at least :hs: It's just annoying sometimes.

7. slurpster

slurpster FLESHY FLAP VALVE NAVIGATOR OT Supporter

x2 on face pulls. also, do some internal and external rotation with your elbow abducted to your side on a pulley/cable weight system.

8. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

For face pulls, should I be pulling from up top, mid range, or from down low?

And can you explain what you mean exactly be the rotation?

9. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

10. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

It would be nice if you had an MRI as well to see if you tore your labrum. Not much other option besides surgery if you have a bad labral tear and you wish to remain physically active as you grow older.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.