A&P Good entry DSLR?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Labster, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I'm looking at breaking into the DSLR game. What do you all recommend? My budget is about $600 with lenses for the time being. I've had my eye on a Nikon D3000 or Canon Rebel XS. I'm not brand loyal, just looking for something that'll get me started and I can learn with and not outgrow quickly.

2. Kappa00

Kappa00 Pizza

Used nikon d70 with a 50mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.8

3. SkiMax

SkiMax OT Supporter

dont get a d3000.

D70S seems like a good idea, can get one for like 350...

4. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

Great suggestion...the D70 is a great inexpensive camera. Skip the D3000 (I can't comment on the Canon), even though it's newer and has the pretty LCD.

Locally (in SLC), you can get a D70 with a great 18-70mm kit lens for $400, then add a 50mm 1.8 as Kappa said and a 55-200mm (non-VR) and you're at $600 and have all ranges covered...for now.

5. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

hmm why do you guys argue against the D3000? Just curious what your views are

6. SkiMax

SkiMax OT Supporter

you aren't going to grow with that camera. here's what Nikon says about it...

DSLR, pure and simple
    The D3000 is designed for anyone who wants to take pictures without worrying about settings. You can select from a choice of subject parameters and the camera will do the rest, and the instant response time means you never miss a moment. The 11-point autofocus system ensures everyone is in focus, and the bright viewfinder means you get what you want, when you want it.

much better off with a D70 at the minimum...

7. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

450D or 500D (if you want HD filming)

8. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

Nikon 35 1.8 lens = good
    Nikon 50 1.8 lens = complete shit

don't waste your money on the 50

9. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

:rofl:

What are you comparing the $100 50 1.8 to? :hsugh:

10. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

why do i need to compare shit to something to know it's shit?

his budget is $600. don't eat up 1/6th of it on a POS. that lens is terrible, esp on a crop

35 > that

11. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

:rofl:

12. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

well now that the resident a&p troll has added his opinion on the 35mm

get a d70s, 50mm 1.8 and a used sb28

13. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

:rolleyes: yes cuz i'm the only one that thinks the 50mm is a POS. give me a break.

and great words of wisdom bob. suggest him a flash when he didn't ask for it. :rofl:

14. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

Labster,

the nice thing about the nikon 50 1.8 (if you go nikon) is that there are morons out there that will buy it at a high price. i bought mine new for $125 and sold it for $95 used. apparently people feel saving $30 is enough to waive getting a new lens and a fresh warranty

it's not bad to start with, but you'll realize in about 1-2 months how lacking it is. it's not as sharp as everyone sackrides it to be, the focus is slow and noisy, and the focus can be off. also make sure you get a body that can use it. d3000/d5000/d40/d60 cannot use it.

15. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

That's referring to the guide mode for dummies.

16. wrong1

wrong1 Member

sound advice....

ignore this guy...

17. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

:rofl: this thread is now officially retarded

18. wrong1

wrong1 Member

There is nothing wrong with having an opinion but seriously you must have had a bad copy of it. the 50mm is faster to focus, quieter and sharper than the tammy 17-50. For you to come out and trash it that hard core just to sound like you know what you are talking about is whats retarded.....

Furthermore, to people who think its cool to say "50mm sucks on a crop body"..... 50mm on a crop body is nearly the equivalent on 85 on a FF... and thats just happens to be one of the most popular portrait lengths ever, keep on hating cuz it makes you sound cool..... :ugh2:

19. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

not hating cuz it's cool broseph

not sure if the canon 50 is any diff, but the nikon 50 is terrible. that screw drive shit sucks. the tammy 17-50 is much faster/accurate with the built in motor

and 50 as your only lens is terrible.

20. pantheR

pantheR New Member

used xsi. or the t1i if you want HD video.

if you're seriously thinking about getting into photography, find a used 40D for ~$550.

and you can either get the kit lens or canon 50mm 1.8 II for under $100 easy

21. Cesium

Cesium OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13918/922; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Xsi with kit lens. When used properly, it's a damn good combination.

Use that for a few months then come back for lens recommendations. You really have to get a feel for what kind of shooting you like to do to pick a good lens for it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  22. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

I respect ya leet, but to trash Nikon's 50mm 1.8 is crazy and goes against the majority of reviews and opinions. I use the 50mm 1.4, but I had the 1.8 and it was far from sucking. For a sub $100 lens it's great, I'm sure you just managed to get a bad copy. Ya, it's plastic and on and on, but it's 1.8 and CHEAP.

If the OP can swing it, this is the cheapest I've seen D90s go for: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&SID=S4vuxQoBCjYAAANasnQAAAIE&sku=580241&AID=10659349&PID=552179&is=REG&A=details&Q=

Add it to your cart and you're looking at $740 shipped through one of the most reputable companies around. Downside, you still need a lens, upside, you have one of the best DX cameras available (and w/ HD video if you want/need it).

23. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

:love: fair enough. it's all opinion after all, and argh that lens drove me nuts.

24. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I wish I could drop around $900 with a lens, unfortunately it's not really in the cards right now. Getting married puts a damper on the spending.

25. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

What about a D80? Ebay has some nice setups for around my price range with a kit lens