GUN good elk rifle

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Coddle, May 7, 2009.

1. Coddle

Coddle New Member

I am in the market for a new hunting rifle, primarily for elk. Going on a guided hunting trip in Montana this year, so I figure now is the time to buy my own brand new rifle (been borring my grandpa's for years now). I was thinking of the .300 mag caliber, but am open to suggestions. What does WMD recommend?

2. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Remington 700 is what everyone is going to say. I'd say look at a Tikka T3 Lite though, nice and light for stalking around with. I've got one in .308 that I am very happy with.

3. I assume you're talking about the .300 Win Mag. Is there any reason you'd pick it over something like a .308? I don't hunt, but from what i understand .308 is suitable for elk hunting. It's also cheaper and more available (in general terms) than .300 WM. Also, if you're going to do a lot of shooting, it's somewhat cheaper to reload.

As far as rifles go, the standard answer is Remington 700 of some sort, but there are lots of other rifles out there that are perfectly good for the task. Look at Tikka and Savage, as they are popular choices too.

4. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

28mm nuclear tipped round.

Seriously though, .300 mag works ok. You can look at 30.06 since the ammo would be eaiser to find at most places. The .338 mag works pretty well to. So does regular .308

5. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

Savage in 7mm.

6. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

I'd say a lot of your choice would depend on where you're hunting and the shots you'll be taking. For the elk hunting that I've done it's always been in some thick and steep shit with alot of cross canyon shots. 7mm has always been my choice.

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Kimber Montana, 7WSM. Seriously.

You want Light/Handy. Go ahead and set back $100 and spend it to buy Corbon factory loaded Barnes X bullets in your caliber of choice if you don't reload. This is one of those shining examples where you want a killer bullet that you don't have to worry about fucking you.

Assuming you are running the X's, I'd drop down to a 7-something from the 300's. Better ballistics, and exceptional terminal effects - all with less bang/flash/recoil. I personally could never shoot another .308 cal bullet again in my life and wouldn't care. I think the 7's are an all around better animal than the 30's, and if payload is really needed I'd rather get really serious and do a 338 Ultra.

All this being subjective of course, but I'm telling you now that you will want a light rifle once you get up there chasing elk. I have known some really fit guys who have chased elk and said it was one of the more physically demanding things they've done.

8. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Basically any .30 or 7mm magnum would be a good choice as would something in .338, 30-06, .280, etc. Use heavy bullets and don't go cheap, buy premium loaded with quality bullets like the TSX/MRX, Nosler Partition, Trophy Bonded bearclaws, and so on.

If I was buying a dedicated elk rifle and paying for a hunt I would opt for heavy artillery like a .338 Win. Mag. but since this probably is going to be your only rifle you may want to opt for something easier to plink with like a .30-06 or similar.

9. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

300 Win Mag
    7 Mag

10. spooney

spooney WTF Sony?

.300 win mag is the perfect elk rifle imo. I would suggest something like if you are comfortable with recoil. If recoil bothers you a .270 win or .30-06 would also be a good choice. Whatever you buy make sure you shoot it frequently before you go, if you are not used to your rifle you will most likely just waste your and your guide's time. Also tip your guide if you have a good experience. Those guys work hard and really do appreciate your gratitude and professionalism while you are on the hunt.

11. Hooch

Hooch New Member

7mm mag will fuck an Elk up and then some.

12. GFlem

GFlem New Member

I'm reading good things about the energy potentials for the 7.62x54R but I don't know at what distances you plan to engage your prey.

13. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

.30-06 is on the low end for Elk but should be okay.

I'd say go for the .300WM or 7mm Mag for ammo availability and power, as those should be okay for up through moose and similar sized animals in Africa if you ever go that way. Then the next step up is like, a .375H&H or .416 Rigby for the really big boys over there.

I dunno if .308 is big enough for an Elk but I could be wrong. :dunno:

14. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

You'll never find any decent ammo for it besides milsurp and probably questionable soft points.

15. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

Yeah, you are :o

16. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

If I get a chance to go I'm getting a 7mag. My .308 is way to heavy for that shit.

17. Coddle

Coddle New Member

Thanks for the input guys, I am throwing the 7mm into my mix of guns to check out.

So 7mm vs .300WM

18. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I would argue that if one was to take advantage of the myriad of excellent bullets that proliferate the .284 bore size, I can't think of a fathomable thing that a thirty cal would do better than a 7mm.

But then again, I'm an unabashed 7mm slut.

19. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

Browning X-Bolt

20. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Does that thing suck any less than the A-Bolt?

21. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Given that few rifles other than Mosins and SVD/PSL chamber it, that's hardly surprising. I believe that a few manufacturers offer brass-cased 7.62x54R at a terrific premium vs what the steel-cased stuff goes for, but I doubt that stuff even ranks as mid-grade hunting ammunition.

22. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

As Jeff Cooper used to put it, a .30-06 with the proper load is quite capable of taking everything, save maybe bison, on the North American continent.

Just use a heavy enough bullet, probably.

23. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

Browning > Remington

24. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Personally I'm not going to spend all the money on an elk hunt, hike for days, then have the possibility of actually bagging a trophy depend on a "probably".

25. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

:rofl::rofl: You must be high.

But, for the sake of discussion, please go on.