Good EDU for detailing Newb?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by MeanGreen, Aug 24, 2008.

1. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

Ok sorry If there is one here and I didn't see it, but of the sticky's I didn't see one that applied to this.

Basically I know nothing about the proper use of a buffer, when to use compounds (which to use), how to fix light scratches, and the list goes on. Look for something to bring me up to speed on general topics such as thoes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Basically my firebird needs to be gone over from front to back. Its a 94 that was taken care of immaculately by the first owner. I took good care of it myself until i took the enitre car apart and let it sit under the cover outside of my house for a almost 2 years. In that time, the cover has caused alot of scratches to form in the same places on both sides of the car. I assume that it was from dirt/dust/salt getting up under the cover and then when it was windy it would just rub on the paint. Also I had gotten all the plastic body pannels repainted. Somebody backed into the front nose piece and put a hole in it and the rest of the plastic pieces where starting to look faded as well. The problem is that when they were painted, the actually color match was perfect for the most part, but dude serisouly fucked my on the clear. it has lots or orange peel. I know I should have tried to get the guy to go back and fix it but I was trying to get the car back together for an event at that point and baiscally just put that at the bottom of the list since I had so much work to do i such a small amout of time. So I believe I am aslo going to need to find out how to repair orange peel as well. I thought that it involved wet sanding and that just scares the fuck out of me to begine with :noes:. HELP!

I'm going to go outside and try to take some pics now of what i'm talking about.

2. wagonproject

wagonproject New Member

Well there is so many products/process out there that the possibilities are endless (along with the amount of money you want to spend). I would first say start reading through these forums...

http://www.autopia.org/forum/index.php
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/

Theres more out there those are just 2 I am usually on. READ READ READ.

After you've read, let us know what questions you have. Also get some pics of your car!

3. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

here are a couple of general pics that i posted up in the main forum

bare with me because i'm still working on a few things so it may look a bit messy under the hood

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

5. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

6. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

7. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

Here are some pics of the scratching that was done when the cover was on
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

Here are some of the "botched" respray of the bumper covers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The rear bumper respray issues will require proper wetsanding and buffing to fix.

Your best bet is to read through the machine buffing forum on http://autopia.org since there are so many variables when it comes to machine polishing, paint hardness, etc to pack it all into one thread. The stickied detailing EDU here has an overview you might find helpful

10. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Wetsanding that bumper might actually make the sand scratches in the undercoat even more prominent- only way to really get that 100% is to knock it all down. You could be trading one problem for another by getting rid of the orange peel. I just took some pictures of the wetsand process- don't know how they came out but I'll post them tomorrow.