Good Deal?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Legend Zero, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

I was looking into buying a new laptop but than i ran into this deal and was wondering if it was worth it? I'm a college student, and a little low on funds :rofl: .. For 900 shipped i can get..

Apple Powerbook 12inch combo drive
    1.33ghz
    60gb hardrive
    256mb of ram.. etc (i'm sure you guys all kno the specs for the rest)

It's the rev. c i think.. the one that was out b4 this.. the person has yet to send me pics, says its in good condition and will send pics tonite!

What do you guys think? Keep in my mind, my bro wants a ipod, and we need a photo printer, so with the deals going on right now, i'll save 279.. but this laptop would sitll be cheaper even with the included deals..

What will i use it for? Internet, typing, aim, online games here and there, maybe sims or sim city once in a blue moon.. watching dvd's...

thanks guys,
    legend zero

2. JayGee

JayGee OT Supporter

Why would you only get 256mb?

3. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

that's what they came with.. this is the powerbook b4 the one out rite now! I would obviosly upgrade it later.. get maybe 1gig or a 512 stick..

4. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

btw..forget to mention it also comes with panther? :hs: i'm not sure if this a good thing or a bad thing..

actually he said he'll throw in tiger and ilife as wel!

5. Halon X

Halon X New Member

That's a good price.... Is it through an online retailer?

6. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

for 900, fuck yeah, then slap a 1gig stick ftw :coold:

7. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

nope.. thru a seller from a forum...

8. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

that sounds like a great deal. panther is the system that was just replaced by tiger but is still a great OS. with ilife and all, you're getting a great deal. pay with a credit card if you can to save your ass

9. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

I don't think i'm gonna go with it guys, now you probally think i'm stuipd! But here me out..the pb with tax would cost 1650 (with student discount.. i'd be getting 20 more gigs,superdrive,256mb of more ram)-180 for the ipod (cuz my bro will buy one wheter i get comp or not..) =1470- 100 (printer, and we have a digi cam, so we needed to buy a photo printer sometime in our life newais, y not know?) =1370.. so now i'm saving.. 470.. fuck this is alot actually! lol.. jus that my bro is telling me not to do it.. cuz he's saying if i want this comp to last me for 3-4 yrs..mite as well get it new and all..

10. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

well its a single person.. from a message board.. so i'd have to use paypall.. is this safe or w.e.. or not really? i don't do much internet buying like that...

11. micks

micks the snausage wallet OT Supporter

12. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

If you are going with a notebook, buy from Apple. The iBook is 1.3G G4 with 512 of RAM, 40G HD, all the up to date features and a warranty for $950 with free shipping + free iPod mini with rebate and student discount.

Also, it's brand new, not someone's used shit and comes with all new software:

Life ’05 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD(5), GarageBand), Mail, Dashboard, Spotlight, iChat AV, Safari, Sherlock, QuickTime, iSync, iCal, DVD Player, Address Book, AppleWorks, iWork (30-day trial), Classic environment, Quicken 2005 for Macintosh, 2005 World Book Multimedia Reference Suite, Nanosaur 2, Marble Blast Gold, Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, Zinio Reader, XCode Developer Tools and Apple Hardware Test

13. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

...but i'm so in love with with powerbook! i know they are practically the same, but i need this computer to last me 4 yrs, and need to get whatever ounce of performance i can get! I also want the option to do screen spaning, and i guess it'd just be nicer without the hack.. i kno im kinda wastin 300 bux (since there isn't much diff from each other).. but i figure wahts 300 bux when you plan to use it for 3-4 yrs?

14. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Ohhhhh, I missed your post about the increase in your budget. Yes, definitely get the PowerBook. 15" if you can afford it. Don't buy RAM from Apple tho. Just buy it from newegg.com and install it yourself in a matter of minutes. The 15" and bigger models have a few features that the 12" doesn't. First that comes to mind is the keys that light up using fiberoptics.

But yes, get the PowerBook. Besides the features, the feel and finish alone are worth it. The aluminum is much more durable and doesn't show scratches as easily, and the feel of the keyboard feels less fisher pricish... if that makes sense.

15. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

i wish i could have been able to afford a 15" pb, but it just wasn't in my budget :(

16. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

that's a really good deal. When i was looking into those same exact powerbooks a few months ago, people we're typically selling them for $1200

17. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

hey guys, another quick question than....

some ppl are telling me that once macs are x86 or w.e. (dont too much about this kinda stuff...) in a year or so... that the new os, leopard, wont be instalable on power pc computers.. is this true?

18. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

I will be pissed if that's true.

19. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

So its a possibility that apple may screw over their customers? their loyola ppc customers? :wtc:

20. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

there's no way apple would do that.

21. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

:rofl: :ugh2: