good cpu fans?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by orange, Jul 14, 2004.

1. orange

orange Guest

sorry if this is ubernoobish, but i'm looking for a site or recommendations on a good cpu fan.

right now i use an amd thunderbird 1.2 processor. the current fan i have on it now is a thermaltake something or other and it's louder than a parade.

any help is appreciated, thanks! :cool:

2. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

I've got a Thermaltake that came with the whole PC 3 years ago and it's still doing my system well, but my buddy's running an Athlon XP 2500 with one of the Zalman flowers on it, and it's amazing. No noise and it runs at about 40-something Celsius.

3. orange

orange Guest

this is a bad question to ask, but i know the thunderbird processor is considered to fit on a socket a type deal. is that compatible with say 462?

looking to get:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-102&depa=0

4. SugarCoatedSour

Ah, that's the flower. It'll work on your Socket A just fine. My friend highly recommends it. I actually have that coming in with the rest of my new PC parts next week.

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

If I knew which Thermaltake it was, that might help.
    I've got a Thermaltake Volcano 12 which has 3 different ways to control the fans speed; jumper for full speed, thermal sensor, and 2 different manual controls.
    The fan speeds range from 2000+/- RPM @ 21db to 5500+/- RPM @ 48db.
    I run mine on manual control set for around 5000RPM and it's not too loud, I could back it down a bit more and still be around the mid-40's my system.

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Zalman > *

I've been using Zalman for years. A few years ago, I had decided to work with Zalman and bought this fan/heatsink combo: http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=24&code=005009

This baby worked miracles. A little while after that, I used a 60mm to 80mm fan extension and through an 80mm fan on there. It performed just as good. Zalman uses a certain type of brand of fan, they don't make their own, I forgot what it was called.

Anyway, I just recently watercooled my machine and using Zalmans new waterblock: http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=84&code=005009

This is byfar the most bitchen heatsink/waterblock/cooling device I have ever owned for my PC. My PC stays at a steady 32c with this thing. It's absolutely amazing.

If you don't want to go watercooled, I would highly suggest this fan, considering it has amazing reviews and many people seem to like it: http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=79&code=005009

From what I hear, this fan is a beast. It is quite, and keeps temperature well below average CPU level. There is no other but Zalman. :big grin:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2004
  7. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

the first one you listed seems better...:dunno:

8. SugarCoatedSour

:werd:

9. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I use a thermaltake volcano 12 as well - it's loud at full speed but keeps the cpu pretty cool <42c at full load. When playing games I usually set it at full tilt, the sound of the fan is drowned out by my speakers :)

At low speed for idling or non-gaming it does a good enough job cooling and it is silent.

10. jamesmccain

jamesmccain New Member

just get like a 30 buck one from fry's....

11. orange

orange Guest

just recieved my zalman fan in the mail today. results and pics to come later. :)

12. SugarCoatedSour

Good times. I'm sure it'll do you well. Mine just came in today with my whole new setup.

13. orange

orange Guest

:wtc:

well, i've completely fubared my system and now it won't boot any more. posting from my brother's computer. what have i done!

14. SugarCoatedSour

Dang, that sucks ass, man. I was thinking that I could possibly mess things up with my new parts, so I'm waiting for my computer tech buddy to go through everything with me.

Good luck on getting everything running again, and hopefully your system isn't down for good.