Good consumer grade P2P router?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Deevan, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

I've been having problems with my Linksys WRT54G in it tries to maintain persistent connection for too long, freezes up and dies. Tried a few firmwares and it still does this. I'm trying to host podcasts via bittorrent, and DHT only makes the problem worse. I've poked around and there's a few negative reviews about this on various websites...

Are my only choices to move up to a different router? Or maybe just put the host outside the DMZ?

2. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

Have you tried DD-WRT firmware yet? I would check it out before getting another router, if you haven't yet. Almost all routers are able to use bittorrent, these days. Just go to an online store, pick the cheapest one and do some googling to make sure there aren't any obvious defects. I recommend making DD-WRT compatibility a priority if you are going to purchase a new router. My buffalo whr-hp-g54s works fine, though the auto-rebooting in DD-WRT can sometimes be a bit erratic if you decide to turn it on (I just leave it off).

That said, you should probably find a better distribution method for your podcasts. One of the biggest draws of a podcast for users is being able to automate it. Put it in an RSS feed or add it to iTunes.

Your distribution will suffer if Bittorrent is your only method. If this is due to a bandwidth restriction, then you either need another web host or you need to optimize your audio file. When you get to the point where you no longer have enough bandwidth on your hosting plan to distribute your content, you should be making a lot more advertising revenue than it costs to host the content.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

DD::WRT

/thread

4. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

I've heard the persistent connections stay through the automated reboot... Is that not correct?

I have hosting, but I only get a terabyte a month, and it's fast, and the torrent does come via an RSS feed, but that's coming out of my house. Right now it's just a hobby with a friend.

5. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

A terabyte should let you push out over 19000 hours, at a 128kbps bitrate. Subtract a bit for the web browsing. That gives you about 38000 audio ads, if you put one in every half hour. At $0.05/ad, that's $1900 each month (and depending on your niche, you could do a lot better than $0.05 per ad). Don't rely on bittorrent, it would be more damaging to your base than an audio ad every half hour. I would only consider it as an archive option where someone can grab the entire year's episodes in one shot.