A&P Good composition?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by DjShiznit, Feb 10, 2008.

1. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

I'll let it be said that I'm new to the hobby of "photography". I completely understand that "composition" truly makes or breaks a photo. Yeah, I'm still learning quite a bit (exposure, shutter speed, ISO sensitivity, etc) and although it makes sense, putting it all together manually and making it all work together seems to be an entirely different thing.

So, this brings me to the my question. What makes good "composition"? Are there any website which break down guidelines as to what will yield a "good" or "bad" photo? There are a few things that I vaguely remember from art class (way back in High School) that I think would probably apply (odd number of prominent objects, don't center the main subject of the shot, etc).

I'm sure this may be a loaded question, but I was just curious as to whether anyone knows of any decent do's and don't's regarding composing a picture. Or, if anyone can offer their own personal thoughts on the subject, that'd be good too.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :wavey:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  2. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

practice and experience

3. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

Leads simply to ridicule on OT.

To threadstarter, buy some books, they're out there.

4. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

Just go out and shoot what you want. Take plenty of shots from different angles and try to be creative. Then just review it and see which pictures seem to look better then the rest and think about why. Always look at the background, the foreground, subject, and anything else in the photo. Theres no book that will tell you exactly what you need, they are just guidelines to keep in mind.

5. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour Active Member

I think it's also a good idea to find photographers that inspire you and to study their pictures alongside any reading materials, so that you can visually internalize the characteristics of good composition.

6. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

never thought about that!

7. Beeno

Beeno New Member

start with the rule of thirds yo